Diffeomorphism invariance and Noether's theorem

In summary, GR is diffeomorphism invariant, meaning that the theory is the same regardless of choice of coordinates. However, this diffeomorphism invariance is a gauge symmetry and does not lead to a conserved quantity in general relativity. Noether's theorem, which states that for every symmetry there is a corresponding conservation law, does not apply to diffeomorphism invariance in GR. This is due to the fact that there are no nonlocal conservation laws in GR. Additionally, there are different types of gauge symmetries, including global and local, which can lead to different outcomes in terms of conserved quantities.
cuallito
I've read that GR is diffeomorphism invariant, I asked a math buddy of mine and I have a VERY BASIC idea of what that means in this case - the theory is the same regardless of your choice of coordinates?

Noether's theorem states that for every symmetry there's a corresponding conservation law. Would diffeomorphism invariance count as a symmetry in this case and what would be the conserved quantity? Would it just be mass-energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
As I understand, but am not sure, diffeomorphism invariance is a gauge symmetry, so there is no conserved quantity associated with it. Rather the gauge symmetry can be used as a form of minimal coupling, just like generating the minimal coupling of the Maxwell and Dirac fields. Universal minimal coupling in general relativity is an expression of the principle of equivalence. http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0009058

However, there are apparently a bunch of conserved non-gauge invariant quantites that follow http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9310025

atyy said:
As I understand, but am not sure, diffeomorphism invariance is a gauge symmetry, so there is no conserved quantity associated with it.

Hmm...gauge symmetry of electromagnetism leads to conservation of charge. (If charge were not conserved, then the amount of energy required in order to create a charge q at a certain point in space would depend on the potential at that location, so you could determine the potential absolutely, not just up to an additive constant. This would violate gauge invariance.) So it seems to me that gauge symmetries *can* lead to conservation laws.

cuallito said:
I've read that GR is diffeomorphism invariant, I asked a math buddy of mine and I have a VERY BASIC idea of what that means in this case - the theory is the same regardless of your choice of coordinates?
Yes, that's right.

cuallito said:
Noether's theorem states that for every symmetry there's a corresponding conservation law. Would diffeomorphism invariance count as a symmetry in this case and what would be the conserved quantity? Would it just be mass-energy?
This is a good question, and I don't know enough to give a really satisfying answer. However, diffeomorphism invariance definitely does not lead to conservation of mass-energy in general relativity, because mass-energy is not conserved in general relativity. There is not even any good way to define mass-energy in general relativity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_in_general_relativity

One thing to be careful about is that Noether's theorem is actually a lot of different theorems, which say things that are much more specific and limited than "for every symmetry there's a corresponding conservation law." I believe she actually had two theorems in her original paper http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~cwp/pubs/noether.trans/english/mort186.html , and those have to be generalized in order to deal with continuous fields.

This may be relevant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress-energy_tensor#Conservation_law

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a discussion of this in Penrose's "The Road to Reality," on p. 489.

For example, it is not at all a clear-cut matter to apply these ideas to obtain energy-momentum conservation in general relativity, and strictly speaking, the method does not work in this case. The apparent gravitational analogue [of EM gauge symmetry] is 'invariance under general coordinate transformations' [...] but the Noether theorem does not work in this situation, giving something of the nature '0=0'.

There are some fairly general reasons why GR can't have nonlocal conservation laws. This is discussed in Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler, "Gravitation," p. 457.

Last edited:
bcrowell said:
Hmm...gauge symmetry of electromagnetism leads to conservation of charge. (If charge were not conserved, then the amount of energy required in order to create a charge q at a certain point in space would depend on the potential at that location, so you could determine the potential absolutely, not just up to an additive constant. This would violate gauge invariance.) So it seems to me that gauge symmetries *can* lead to conservation laws.

Well, there are two "gauge" symmetries. There is exp(i.theta) which is a global symmetry and gives charge conservation. But exp(i.theta(x)) is a local or "gauge" symmetry, and this can lead to the minimal coupling or "gauge principle" with the electron field, but there is no additional conserved quantity from having more symmetry here than the global symmetry.

atyy said:
Well, there are two "gauge" symmetries. There is exp(i.theta) which is a global symmetry and gives charge conservation. But exp(i.theta(x)) is a local or "gauge" symmetry, and this can lead to the minimal coupling or "gauge principle" with the electron field, but there is no additional conserved quantity from having more symmetry here than the global symmetry.

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining that!

There's a pretty clear discussion on p 126 of http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft/qft.pdf , where the (local) gauge symmetry is a redundancy of description, and leads to equations of motion that don't have unique evolution - unless we accept that the multiple possible evolutions have the same physical meaning - exactly the same as in GR.

1. What is diffeomorphism invariance?

Diffeomorphism invariance is a property that describes the invariance of a physical theory or system under smooth coordinate transformations. This means that the equations and laws of the theory remain unchanged even when the coordinates used to describe the system are transformed.

2. How is diffeomorphism invariance related to Noether's theorem?

Noether's theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity. Diffeomorphism invariance is a type of symmetry, and therefore, Noether's theorem can be used to derive conserved quantities in systems that exhibit this property.

3. Can you provide an example of a physical system that exhibits diffeomorphism invariance?

One example is the theory of general relativity, which is diffeomorphism invariant. This means that the equations of general relativity remain unchanged under smooth coordinate transformations, allowing for a consistent description of gravity across different coordinate systems.

4. How does diffeomorphism invariance impact the laws of physics?

Diffeomorphism invariance is a fundamental principle that ensures the consistency and coherence of physical laws across different coordinate systems. It allows for the development of theories that are independent of any particular choice of coordinates and can accurately describe physical phenomena in any frame of reference.

5. Are there any limitations to diffeomorphism invariance?

While diffeomorphism invariance is a powerful concept in physics, it is not applicable to all physical systems. Some theories, such as quantum mechanics, do not exhibit this property. Additionally, diffeomorphism invariance can only be applied to smooth coordinate transformations, so it may not hold in systems with discontinuous or non-smooth transformations.