Diffeomorphism invariance of metric determinant

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of diffeomorphism-invariance and whether all powers of sqrt(-g) are also diffeo-invariant. The answer is yes, as any function of a scalar is also a scalar. The conversation also mentions using the term "scalar" instead of "diffeomorphism-invariant" and clarifies that the metric determinant is not a scalar. The example given for a valid action also highlights the importance of this distinction.
Pacopag
Hi;
I am pretty sure that
sqrt(-g) is diffeomorphism-invariant.

I am wondering if all powers of this are diffeo-invariant too. For example, are
-g, g^2, etc. all invariants too?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to use less cumbersome terminology, you can just say "is a scalar" rather than "is diffeomorphism-invariant." That's what "scalar" means in GR.

The answer to your question is yes, because any function of a scalar is also a scalar.

[--D'oh -- that was incorrect -- sorry! --]

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. This is good news for me. To be sure, a valid action may take the form
[tex]
S = \int d^4x \sqrt{-g}\left(R+\sqrt{-g}\phi^2\right)
[/tex]
where
[tex]
\phi^2
[/tex]
is a scalar
Is this correct?

The metric determinant is not a scalar. Think of the volume elements associated with (say) spherical and Cartesian coordinates in flat space.

Yes. You are right. The second term in my action does not work.

D'oh, thanks for the correctoin, Stingray. I was obviously not awake this morning when I posted #2 :-)

What is diffeomorphism invariance?

Diffeomorphism invariance is a property of a mathematical object or equation that remains unchanged under a diffeomorphism, which is a smooth and invertible transformation of coordinates. In other words, the object or equation has the same form and structure regardless of the specific coordinate system used.

What is the significance of diffeomorphism invariance in the context of metric determinant?

In the context of metric determinant, diffeomorphism invariance means that the determinant of a metric tensor in one coordinate system will be the same as the determinant of the same metric tensor in a different coordinate system. This allows us to use different coordinate systems to describe the same physical space without affecting the underlying mathematical relationships.

Why is diffeomorphism invariance important in general relativity?

In general relativity, diffeomorphism invariance is a fundamental principle that ensures the consistency and validity of the theory. It allows us to use different coordinate systems to describe the same gravitational phenomena without changing the physical predictions of the theory.

How is diffeomorphism invariance related to the concept of spacetime symmetry?

Diffeomorphism invariance is a type of spacetime symmetry, specifically a gauge symmetry. This means that the mathematical equations of a physical theory are unchanged under certain transformations of the coordinates, similar to how the laws of physics are unchanged under certain rotations or translations in space.

What are some practical applications of diffeomorphism invariance in physics?

Diffeomorphism invariance is essential in many areas of physics, including general relativity, quantum field theory, and string theory. It allows for the use of different coordinate systems to describe physical systems, making calculations and theoretical predictions more manageable. It also plays a crucial role in the development of unified theories, such as the search for a theory of quantum gravity.