Klein Gordon Invariance in General Relativity

In summary: I was wondering if the extra term in the Lagrangian ##g^{\mu\nu}\to g^{\mu\nu}+\partial^{(\mu}\xi^{\nu)}## would make it non-invariant.Yes, but that's not the issue as I understand it.
phyz2
TL;DR Summary
Confused bout KG Lagrangian in curved space
Hello!
I'm starting to study curved QFT and am slightly confused about the invariance of the Klein Gordon Lagrangian under a linear diffeomorphism.
This is $$L=\sqrt{-g}\left(g^{\mu\nu}\partial_\mu \phi \partial_\nu \phi-\frac{m^2}{2}\phi^2\right),$$
I don't see how ##g^{\mu\nu}\to g^{\mu\nu}+\partial^{(\mu}\xi^{\nu)}## should leave this invariant.. I get and extra piece which is ##\sqrt{-g} \partial^{(\mu}\xi^{\nu)} \partial_\mu \phi \partial_\nu \phi## and I don't see how this should be zero, even at the linear level.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What you wrote down as ##L## is not invariant because it includes the ##\sqrt g## from the volume element.

The expression in the parenthesis is manifestly a scalar.

Orodruin said:
The expression in the parenthesis is manifestly a scalar.
For this to be true in curved spacetime (which is what I understand the OP to be asking about), wouldn't the derivatives need to be covariant derivatives instead of partial derivatives?

PeterDonis said:
For this to be true in curved spacetime (which is what I understand the OP to be asking about), wouldn't the derivatives need to be covariant derivatives instead of partial derivatives?
For (first) derivatives of scalars there is no difference.

Likes vanhees71
One should emphasize that ##\sqrt{-g}\mathrm{d}^4 x## is generallt invariant too. So the action is generally invariant and thus the resulting field equations too. That makes the action principle so useful for finding adequate equations, that are covariant under a given symmetr.

Agreed, I considered it subtextual that the volume element is invariant but I could have been more specific for clarity.

Likes vanhees71
phyz2 said:
Summary:: Confused bout KG Lagrangian in curved space

Hello!
I'm starting to study curved QFT and am slightly confused about the invariance of the Klein Gordon Lagrangian under a linear diffeomorphism.
This is $$L=\sqrt{-g}\left(g^{\mu\nu}\partial_\mu \phi \partial_\nu \phi-\frac{m^2}{2}\phi^2\right),$$
I don't see how ##g^{\mu\nu}\to g^{\mu\nu}+\partial^{(\mu}\xi^{\nu)}## should leave this invariant.. I get and extra piece which is ##\sqrt{-g} \partial^{(\mu}\xi^{\nu)} \partial_\mu \phi \partial_\nu \phi## and I don't see how this should be zero, even at the linear level.

Thanks for any help!
The transformation for the metric you give is (a linearization of) the Lie derivative, an "active diffeomorphism". The Lie derivative of the Lagrangian is not zero.

Likes phyz2
haushofer said:
The transformation for the metric you give is (a linearization of) the Lie derivative, an "active diffeomorphism". The Lie derivative of the Lagrangian is not zero.
Thanks! Could you elaborate a bit more? I thought the invariance under diffeos would be equivalent to the gauge invariance of the, say, Maxwell Lagrangian.. in that case the change of the action is zero.

The key is the action. If the action is invariant under general coordinate transformations then for sure the field-equations of motion derived from it are covariant equations. That implies that the Lagrangian ##\mathfrak{L}## should be a scalar density (!) or you write ##\mathfrak{L}=\sqrt{-g} L##, where ##L## is a scalar. Then
$$A=\int \mathrm{d}^4 q \mathfrak{L} = \int \mathrm{d}^4 q \sqrt{-g} L$$
is a scalar and thus the field equations of motion derived from Hamilton's principle using this action are generally covariant.

phyz2 said:
Thanks! Could you elaborate a bit more? I thought the invariance under diffeos would be equivalent to the gauge invariance of the, say, Maxwell Lagrangian.. in that case the change of the action is zero.
Sorry for the late reply. I understand your confusion. Let's take a scalar. Under a g.c.t. one has that phi(x) = phi'(x'). But the Lie derivative, what's commonly called an "infinitesimal g.c.t.", compares phi'(x) and phi(x) instead of phi'(x') and phi(x). Watch those primes like a hawk! And the Lie derivative of a scalar is in general non-zero, of course.

The Lagrangean density is a scalar density, so you should consider how such a density transforms under "infinitesimal g.c.t.'s". It's been a while, but with proper boundary conditions you should get a total derivative such that the action functional is invariant. See e.g. d'Inverno.

Likes vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
The key is the action. If the action is invariant under general coordinate transformations then for sure the field-equations of motion derived from it are covariant equations. That implies that the Lagrangian ##\mathfrak{L}## should be a scalar density (!) or you write ##\mathfrak{L}=\sqrt{-g} L##, where ##L## is a scalar. Then
$$A=\int \mathrm{d}^4 q \mathfrak{L} = \int \mathrm{d}^4 q \sqrt{-g} L$$
is a scalar and thus the field equations of motion derived from Hamilton's principle using this action are generally covariant.
Yes, but that's not the issue as I understand it.

1. What is Klein Gordon Invariance in General Relativity?

Klein Gordon Invariance in General Relativity is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of scalar fields in the presence of gravity. It is a symmetry principle that states that the equations governing the scalar field must remain unchanged under certain transformations, even when gravity is taken into account.

2. How does Klein Gordon Invariance relate to General Relativity?

Klein Gordon Invariance is a key concept in General Relativity because it helps to explain how scalar fields behave in curved spacetime. In General Relativity, gravity is described as the curvature of spacetime, and the Klein Gordon Invariance principle ensures that the equations governing scalar fields remain valid in this curved spacetime.

3. What are scalar fields?

Scalar fields are mathematical quantities that have a single value at each point in space and time. They are different from vector fields, which have both magnitude and direction at each point. Examples of scalar fields include temperature, pressure, and electric potential.

4. Why is Klein Gordon Invariance important in physics?

Klein Gordon Invariance is important in physics because it is a fundamental symmetry principle that helps to explain the behavior of scalar fields in the presence of gravity. It is also a key concept in quantum field theory, which is a framework for understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

5. How is Klein Gordon Invariance tested in experiments?

Klein Gordon Invariance can be tested in experiments by studying the behavior of scalar fields in different gravitational environments. For example, scientists can measure the behavior of light (which is described by a scalar field) as it travels through regions with different levels of gravity. Any deviations from the expected behavior predicted by Klein Gordon Invariance could indicate a breakdown of the principle and potentially lead to new discoveries in physics.