1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between 2 types of differentials?

1. Apr 20, 2012 #1
    I have a simple question about differentials. I have been taught two ways to find the differential and my questions is in what situations do I use each one?

simply speaking these are the 2 ways

1.) just take the partials of each component function and throw them in a matrix

2.) Let f be the function we want the differential for, where f:S→ℝm. You choose a curve [itex]\alpha[/itex](-ε,ε)→S such that [itex]\alpha[/itex](0)=p and [itex]\alpha[/itex]'(0)= v where p is in S and S is a surface, and v is in TpS.
    Then you compose f with [itex]\alpha[/itex] and take the derivative with respect to t.

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In 1, it looks like you are referring to the differential of a function from [itex]R^m[/itex] to [itex]R^n[/itex] while in 2, you are specifically referring to a function from [itex]R^1[/itex] to [itex]R^n[/itex].

Also, 1 is assuming a specific coordinate system while 2 is a general, non-coordinate definition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook