Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Difference between 2 types of differentials?

1. Apr 20, 2012 #1
    I have a simple question about differentials. I have been taught two ways to find the differential and my questions is in what situations do I use each one?

simply speaking these are the 2 ways

1.) just take the partials of each component function and throw them in a matrix

2.) Let f be the function we want the differential for, where f:S→ℝm. You choose a curve [itex]\alpha[/itex](-ε,ε)→S such that [itex]\alpha[/itex](0)=p and [itex]\alpha[/itex]'(0)= v where p is in S and S is a surface, and v is in TpS.
    Then you compose f with [itex]\alpha[/itex] and take the derivative with respect to t.

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

In 1, it looks like you are referring to the differential of a function from [itex]R^m[/itex] to [itex]R^n[/itex] while in 2, you are specifically referring to a function from [itex]R^1[/itex] to [itex]R^n[/itex].

Also, 1 is assuming a specific coordinate system while 2 is a general, non-coordinate definition.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook