Difference between 2nd and 3rd edition of Physics by Halliday & Resnick

In summary, the difference between the 2nd and 3rd edition of Physics by Resnick and Halliday is that the later edition has typos fixed from the previous version. However, the difference between the 2nd and 3rd edition is not always noticeable.
MidgetDwarf
Was wondering what is the difference between the 2nd and 3rd ed of Physics by Resnick and Halliday?
I know for the most part, at least for mathbooks, the earlier edition the better, and that there is ussually few changes in newer edition.

However, I already own the 2nd edition (Blue Cover) and I remember reading that some editions take or gain derivations and some are written better than others. Should I spend 5 dollars on the 3rd ed (green) or is my copy superior?

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, later editions are always considered better because they've supposed fixed any typos from the previous version. However, since these versions are so close together its hard to say whether its worth it to get the later version unless your teacher is assigning problems from the later version.

Last edited:
Halliday and Resnick is currently in its 10th edition. I wouldn't get too excited over the difference between the 2nd and 3rd. If you've already read and studied H&R, I doubt you'll get much more out of a later edition. There is totally erroneous or bungled material that has persisted through multiple editions. (Examples are their claim to have proved conservation of angular momentum from Newton's laws, and their brain-dead treatment of dynamics in special relativity.) If you want to understand physics deeply, there is no edition of H&R that will help you.

Thank you Jedi n bcr, I have a copy of kolenkow mechanics. I wanted to start reading it during the break, however, I have to take EnM next semester, and our school uses Serway. I found the book extremely verbose, so I studied from my copy of Resnick (1960 something).

I would study from kolenkow during the summer, but I'm a math major and I'm falling linear algebra (large part due to incompetent instructor, however it is on me to learn the material). Most likely I'll have to repeat linear algebra.

Thanks.

MidgetDwarf said:
Thank you Jedi n bcr, I have a copy of kolenkow mechanics. I wanted to start reading it during the break, however, I have to take EnM next semester, and our school uses Serway. I found the book extremely verbose, so I studied from my copy of Resnick (1960 something).

I would study from kolenkow during the summer, but I'm a math major and I'm falling linear algebra (large part due to incompetent instructor, however it is on me to learn the material). Most likely I'll have to repeat linear algebra.

Thanks.

For linear algebra, this free book is awesome: http://joshua.smcvt.edu/linearalgebra/

For E&M, the classic is Purcell. There is a new edition that is updated and relatively inexpensive. The first edition is also free online because it was developed under an NSF grant. You can get a pdf from sites such as http://gen.lib.rus.ec/ .

Likes jedishrfu
Thank you both. Had my gf buy purcell for me (vbirthday is coming up). Took a look at the linear book. Really easy to understand. We are using Anton and the explanations are not always clear. I think I am going to fail this class. Few teachers adviced me that I was going to teach myself(eeven had one got mad at me because i wouldn't listen lol). Very smart guy, very active in the mathematical community (wtwrites papers that have been referenced/as a teacher not so great).ll study and try to do the best I can tho.

This experience was an eye opener, and I'm glad I was put into this situation. Just means I need to work a lot harder and smarter. So when semester ends I need to go through a proof book. (II have 2/How to Prove It and Mathematical Proofs a Transition to Advanced Mathematics). Work out of Heffron. Sorry for the rant. Just kinda bummed out that I always understood something if I put in the time. First thing to ever go over my head.

1. What are the main differences between the 2nd and 3rd edition of Physics by Halliday & Resnick?

The main differences between the 2nd and 3rd edition of Physics by Halliday & Resnick are the addition of new content, updates to existing material, and changes in organization. The 3rd edition includes new examples, exercises, and problems, as well as updated discussions of modern physics topics such as quantum mechanics and relativity. The organization of topics has also been revised in the 3rd edition to improve flow and clarity.

2. Is the 3rd edition of Physics by Halliday & Resnick significantly different from the 2nd edition?

Yes, the 3rd edition of Physics by Halliday & Resnick is significantly different from the 2nd edition. In addition to the changes mentioned above, the 3rd edition also includes new illustrations and diagrams, improved explanations and derivations, and new sections on current topics such as climate change and renewable energy.

3. Are the problem sets in the 3rd edition of Physics by Halliday & Resnick different from those in the 2nd edition?

Yes, the problem sets in the 3rd edition of Physics by Halliday & Resnick are different from those in the 2nd edition. While some problems may be similar, the 3rd edition includes new problems and exercises that reflect the updated content and organization of the book. This ensures that students have a variety of practice problems to reinforce their understanding of the material.

4. Can I use the 2nd edition of Physics by Halliday & Resnick instead of the 3rd edition?

While the 2nd edition of Physics by Halliday & Resnick may still contain valuable information, it is recommended to use the 3rd edition for a more comprehensive and up-to-date understanding of physics. The 3rd edition includes new content and improvements that may not be found in the 2nd edition, and using the most recent edition can also ensure that you have access to the most current information and resources.

5. As a student, do I need to purchase the 3rd edition of Physics by Halliday & Resnick if I already have the 2nd edition?

It is ultimately up to the individual student, but it is highly recommended to purchase the 3rd edition of Physics by Halliday & Resnick if possible. The updates and improvements in the 3rd edition can greatly enhance your understanding and learning experience, and using the same edition as your classmates and instructors can also make it easier to follow along in class and discussions.