1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Physics Difference between 2nd and 3rd edition of Physics by Halliday & Resnick

1. May 15, 2015 #1
    Was wondering what is the difference between the 2nd and 3rd ed of Physics by Resnick and Halliday?
    I know for the most part, at least for mathbooks, the earlier edition the better, and that there is ussually few changes in newer edition.

However, I already own the 2nd edition (Blue Cover) and I remember reading that some editions take or gain derivations and some are written better than others. Should I spend 5 dollars on the 3rd ed (green) or is my copy superior?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

In general, later editions are always considered better because they've supposed fixed any typos from the previous version. However, since these versions are so close together its hard to say whether its worth it to get the later version unless your teacher is assigning problems from the later version.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  4. May 17, 2015 #3

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Halliday and Resnick is currently in its 10th edition. I wouldn't get too excited over the difference between the 2nd and 3rd. If you've already read and studied H&R, I doubt you'll get much more out of a later edition. There is totally erroneous or bungled material that has persisted through multiple editions. (Examples are their claim to have proved conservation of angular momentum from Newton's laws, and their brain-dead treatment of dynamics in special relativity.) If you want to understand physics deeply, there is no edition of H&R that will help you.

5. May 18, 2015 #4
    Thank you Jedi n bcr, I have a copy of kolenkow mechanics. I wanted to start reading it during the break, however, I have to take EnM next semester, and our school uses Serway. I found the book extremely verbose, so I studied from my copy of Resnick (1960 something).

I would study from kolenkow during the summer, but I'm a math major and I'm falling linear algebra (large part due to incompetent instructor, however it is on me to learn the material). Most likely I'll have to repeat linear algebra.

Thanks.

6. May 18, 2015 #5

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

The website below has some good videos on linear algebra that may help you get by:

http://mathispower4u.yolasite.com/

7. May 18, 2015 #6

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For linear algebra, this free book is awesome: http://joshua.smcvt.edu/linearalgebra/

For E&M, the classic is Purcell. There is a new edition that is updated and relatively inexpensive. The first edition is also free online because it was developed under an NSF grant. You can get a pdf from sites such as http://gen.lib.rus.ec/ .

8. May 18, 2015 #7
    Thank you both. Had my gf buy purcell for me (vbirthday is coming up). Took a look at the linear book. Really easy to understand. We are using Anton and the explanations are not always clear. I think I am going to fail this class. Few teachers adviced me that I was going to teach myself(eeven had one got mad at me because i wouldn't listen lol). Very smart guy, very active in the mathematical community (wtwrites papers that have been referenced/as a teacher not so great).ll study and try to do the best I can tho.

This experience was an eye opener, and I'm glad I was put into this situation. Just means I need to work alot harder and smarter. So when semester ends I need to go through a proof book. (II have 2/How to Prove It and Mathematical Proofs a Transition to Advanced Mathematics). Work out of Heffron. Sorry for the rant. Just kinda bummed out that I always understood something if I put in the time. First thing to ever go over my head.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted