1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Physics Resnick and Halliday which book I should choose?

1. May 27, 2016 #1
    Resnick and Halliday have many physics books and they have more than 6 named fundamental of physics I don't know which one I should choose they have many editions for each book and they have the same name .

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. May 27, 2016 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It doesn't really matter much. Halliday and Resnick type books try to give an overview of a lot of physics. This overview is not deep. You will go very deep in all aspects of physics in later physics courses. So the goal of Halliday and Resnick is to cover things very broadly, to introduce you with physical thinking and to make you aware of the basic concepts. In that sense, all editions would serve quite well. I would go for the one that is cheapest.

5. May 27, 2016 #4

jedishrfu

One other thing to think about is some used student copies of this book may be marked up with highlighter which can distract from the reading experience.

Also ABE Books is a good resource for finding used copies with descriptions on book quality:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=halliday+resnick&sts=t&tn=fundamentals+of+physics

Another possible book resource is the IB Physics book by KA Tsokos, its a bit smaller than Halliday but packaged quite well for freshman level physics:

https://www.amazon.com/Physics-IB-D...ie=UTF8&qid=1464368270&sr=8-2&keywords=tsokos

and lastly, there the free books by Benjamin Crowell at:

www.lightandmatter.com

6. May 27, 2016 #5
  7. May 27, 2016 #6

jedishrfu

Yeah, I liked the green book too. It came out a few years after I graduated. The standard at the time was the royal blue book. Our school used another authors book which wasn't as good and we were only 15 miles from RPI where Resnick taught. Go figure!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted