1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between a hessian and a bordered hessian

1. Dec 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was wondering what exactly the difference between a regular (proper? is that the term) hessian is and a bordered hessian. It is difficult to find material in the book or online at this point. I mean mathmatically so that were i to do a problem i would know the layout and what differs between the two. At this point I am aware that a bordered hessian is for constrained optimizations and a proper hessian for unconstrained from there i am unaware where they differ. Theoretically and forumlaically how do they differ?

At this point i think it is something like

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Proper Hessian

lZxx Zxyl
    lZyx Zyyl

Then you find the determinant

A bordered hessian would be

l 0 Fx Fy l
    l Fx Zxx Zxy l
    l Fy Zyx Zyy l

Is that right because it seems too simple.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your are right: the above matrix is a bordered Hessian. It's what you do with it afterwards that counts!

Basically, in an equality-constrained optimization problem, the Hessian matrix of the Lagrangian (not just the Hessian of the max/min objective Z) needs to be tested for positive or negative definiteness or semi-definiteness, not in the whole space, but only in tangent planes of the constraints. Using bordered Hessians is one way of doing this, but a much better way is to use so-called "projected hessians"; these are, essentially, the Hessian projected down into the lower-dimensional space of the tangent plane. Nowadays, serious optimization systems use projected Hessians, and just about the only place you will see bordered Hessians anymore is in Economics textbooks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook