Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between mixtures and compounds

1. Nov 20, 2014 #1
    i know in mixture two or more substance are not chemically bonded whereas in compounds substance are chemically bonded and also in mixtures substance can be separated by mechanical method but not compounds But i want to ask how can i identify whether substance is mixture or compound if it comes in theory exam there i cannot separate them ,nor can i predict whether substance are chemically bonded or not,how can i answer questions whether substance is mixture or compound in theory exams ? .

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Substance must be described in a way that makes it clear what it is, or it will be a substance that you are expected to know something about.

Can you give examples of such questions?

4. Nov 20, 2014 #3
    For example wood.I never thought that wood is a mixture.

5. Nov 20, 2014 #4

Borek

Now you know.

6. Nov 20, 2014 #5
    yes but i mean lots of examples would be out there about which i don't know,so is there any way with the help of which i can tell whether substance is mixture or compound just by reading it's name in question paper(i.e without any experiment,theoretically for theory exams .Not by practically or observing)

7. Nov 20, 2014 #6

Borek

Most of the things you deal with on a daily basis are mixtures. Notable exceptions that I can think of at the moment are distilled (DI, RO) water (but potable water is already a mixture containing dissolved salts), table salt (although some kinds are not so pure, they contain artificially added iodides or other microelements) and white sugar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook