Difference between mixtures and compounds

In summary, substances can be classified as mixtures or compounds based on whether they are chemically bonded or not. Mixtures can be separated by mechanical methods, while compounds cannot. In theory exams, it can be difficult to determine whether a substance is a mixture or compound without any experimentation. However, some common substances that are not mixtures include distilled water, pure table salt, and white sugar.
gracy
i know in mixture two or more substance are not chemically bonded whereas in compounds substance are chemically bonded and also in mixtures substance can be separated by mechanical method but not compounds But i want to ask how can i identify whether substance is mixture or compound if it comes in theory exam there i cannot separate them ,nor can i predict whether substance are chemically bonded or not,how can i answer questions whether substance is mixture or compound in theory exams ? .

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Substance must be described in a way that makes it clear what it is, or it will be a substance that you are expected to know something about.

Can you give examples of such questions?

Borek said:
Substance must be described in a way that makes it clear what it is, or it will be a substance that you are expected to know something about.

Can you give examples of such questions?
For example wood.I never thought that wood is a mixture.

Now you know.

Borek said:
Now you know.
yes but i mean lots of examples would be out there about which i don't know,so is there any way with the help of which i can tell whether substance is mixture or compound just by reading it's name in question paper(i.e without any experiment,theoretically for theory exams .Not by practically or observing)

Most of the things you deal with on a daily basis are mixtures. Notable exceptions that I can think of at the moment are distilled (DI, RO) water (but potable water is already a mixture containing dissolved salts), table salt (although some kinds are not so pure, they contain artificially added iodides or other microelements) and white sugar.

What is a mixture?

A mixture is a combination of two or more substances that are physically combined and can be easily separated from each other.

What is a compound?

A compound is a substance that is made up of two or more elements that are chemically bonded together in a fixed ratio.

How do mixtures and compounds differ in terms of composition?

Mixtures have variable composition, meaning that the ratio of substances can vary and they can be separated by physical means. Compounds have a fixed composition and can only be separated by chemical means.

What are some examples of mixtures?

Some examples of mixtures include salt water, air, and trail mix.

What are some examples of compounds?

Some examples of compounds include water (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), and sodium chloride (NaCl).