Difference between physics and chemistry

In summary, physics is the study of matter and energy and their interactions, while chemistry is the study of the composition, structure, and properties of matter and how it changes through chemical reactions. Even though it may seem impossible, there are people who have studied graduate level physics and chemistry without being familiar with these terms. However, for a basic understanding of these fields, one can refer to introductory textbooks or use language translation tools if needed.
ehrenfest
What is the difference between physics and chemistry? How would you explain it to someone who has studied graduate level physics and chemistry but has never heard of the terms "physics" or "chemistry"?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:
What is the difference between physics and chemistry? How would you explain it to someone who has studied graduate level physics and chemistry but has never heard of the terms "physics" or "chemistry"?

...?

Pengwuino said:
...?

I never thought that I would say this, but: Lolz

:rofl:

Pengwuino said:
...?

That was a hypothetical situation. Such a person may not exist.

If I were French, what would my favorite color be?

See, just because something is hypothetical, that doesn't make it answerable, much less sensical.

Chemistry: The science of the composition, structure, properties, and reactions of matter, especially of atomic and molecular systems

Physics: The science of matter and energy and of interactions between the two, grouped in traditional fields such as acoustics, optics, mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism, as well as in modern extensions including atomic and nuclear physics, cryogenics, solid-state physics, particle physics, and plasma physics.

How the heck do you study graduate level physics and/or chemistry and not learn those terms (or their equivalents in whatever language you speak)? But hey, I'll bite.

Chemistry is the study of chemical reactions involving valence electrons. Physics is about mathematical descriptions of physical processes involving matter and energy. Physicists calculate stuff and run experiments. Chemists throw stuff together and see what happens.

arunma said:
How the heck do you study graduate level physics and/or chemistry and not learn those terms (or their equivalents in whatever language you speak)? But hey, I'll bite.

Chemistry is the study of chemical reactions involving valence electrons. Physics is about mathematical descriptions of physical processes involving matter and energy. Physicists calculate stuff and run experiments. Chemists throw stuff together and see what happens.

That was a pretty snobbish discription if I ever heard one.

Oh boy..

As a chemist, I would offer this description of chemistry: Chemistry is the study of how atomic and molecular structures are formed and how these structures affect the microscopic and macroscopic properties of matter.

ehrenfest said:
That was a hypothetical situation. Such a person may not exist.

MAY not? You actually left room for doubt in that statement? :rofl:

Okay, here would be my answer...go back to their introductory level textbook in each subject, open page one of chapter one, and read the first paragraph. It's usually defined nicely right there. If they are still confused, proceed to the next paragraph, etc.

ehrenfest said:

It only makes sense if person is from another country (as of now) where they graduate in their own language.

Then, you just use http://www.google.ca/language_tools?hl=en"...

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were a bee, would I still like cheese?

I'm still confused about the difference

octelcogopod said:
I'm still confused about the difference

Oh, it's easy. Physicists smash atoms together to see what happens when they break apart. Chemists smash atoms together to see what happens when they stick together. :biggrin:

russ_watters said:
If I were a bee, would I still like cheese?

If I were a mentor and a thread was opened on a ridiculous, unanswerable question, what would I do?

Oh wait.. that question's not hypothetical :devil:

1. What is the main difference between physics and chemistry?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them, while chemistry is the study of the composition, properties, and reactions of matter.

2. Can the principles of physics be applied to chemistry?

Yes, many principles from physics, such as thermodynamics and quantum mechanics, are used to explain and predict chemical reactions and properties of matter.

3. Which field came first, physics or chemistry?

Physics is considered to be the older of the two fields, with roots dating back to ancient Greek philosophers. Chemistry as a distinct discipline developed later with the work of alchemists.

4. How do the methods of experimentation differ between physics and chemistry?

Physics tends to focus on quantitative measurements and mathematical models, while chemistry often involves more qualitative observations and chemical reactions. However, both fields use experimentation to test hypotheses and gather data.

5. Are there any overlaps between physics and chemistry?

Yes, there are many areas where the two fields overlap, such as in the study of atomic and molecular structure, materials science, and biophysics. Both fields also rely on the fundamental principles of mathematics and scientific inquiry.