New Insight into the Chemistry of Solvents

  • Thread starter Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemistry Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 4K views
Messages
15,819
Reaction score
10,709
TL;DR
The notion of opposite charges attract and like repel has to be modified when dealing with certain types of solvents where like charges may group together.
https://www.newsweek.com/basic-principle-physics-wrong-oxford-university-scientists-say-1874984

Opposites charges attract; like charges repel" is a long-held fundamental principle of physics that you might have heard at school, but your teacher may have been wrong.

Researchers from the University of Oxford's chemistry department found that like-charged particles submerged in solutions were able to attract each other from long distances, depending on the solvent used and the sign of the charge.

...

The study has been published in the journal Nature Nanotechnology.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I must admit I'm as skeptic as @Bystander. To be honest it almost sounds to me like homeopathy. Then again what do I know...?

Being published in a respected journal is no guarantee anymore, is it? Was it ever?

EDIT: Then again I could of course have read the article before proffering my meaning, I apologize.
 
Last edited:
The headline and claim that opposites don't always attract is clickbait. The particles still exhibit repulsive force. The solvent is doing it's own work and bringing them together.
 
sbrothy said:
I must admit I'm as skeptic as @Bystander. To be honest it almost sounds to me like homeopathy. Then again what do I know...?

Being published in a respected journal is no guarantee anymore, is it? Was it ever?

EDIT: Then again I could of course have read the article before proffering my meaning, I apologize.
It's clickbait. You didn't miss anything in the article. In a particular solvent, it is more energetically favorable for the solvent to move like charges closer together. The charges are still repelling each other, of course.
 
  • Informative
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hajonnes and sbrothy
If you consider the electron gas as a solvent for the positive ionic cores in a metal, the Cooper mechanism in superconductors is just of this form