Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between Taylor and MacLaurin Series-Usage

1. May 2, 2014 #1
    Hi all,

I understand the numerical difference between a Taylor and Maclaurin Series; Maclaurin series is just Taylor Series about x=0. However, is there any difference between their usage?

I'm guessing Taylor series may be more accurate with less terms for approximating something close to its center; ex. finding f(2.1) for Taylor series about x=2 rather than using Maclaurin series. Am I correct in this assumption? What makes using one better than using the other?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2014 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Yes it may be better to use the series about 2 to find f(2.1) than the series about 0. We can do this with the Maclaurin Series though just find the series about 0 of f(x+2)

Since the Taylor series about a of f(x) is the same as the Maclaurin series of f(x+a) the two can be considered the same.

4. May 3, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A word about terminology: you are really talking about Taylor and MacLaurin polynomials (truncated series) not the series themselves. There is no question of "accuracy" with Taylor and MacLaurin series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook