Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between Traction and Tractive Force ?

1. Nov 18, 2006 #1
    Difference between "Traction" and "Tractive Force"?

I need to know exactly what the difference is between "Traction" and "Tractive Force". The more specific and detailed the better.

I can find definitions of "Traction" but nothing really on "Tractive Force".

This is specifically in reference to wheels and road surfaces.

Back story. I have someone who insists on using (teaching) that everything related to wheels and surfaces is "Tractive Force" and discounts "traction". That I can't find a definition of "Tractive Force" that helps me has had me wondering about this for years.

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2006 #2
    A quick search on google indicated that the term "tractive force" seems to be mostly used in relation to trains...

4. Nov 18, 2006 #3
    Then the free dictionary says something like this: Noun 1. driving wheel - a wheel that drives a motor vehicle (transforms torque into a tractive force)

at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/driving+wheel

so I decided to ask the difference between tractive force and traction here.

So I'm wondering, what is the difference between tractive force and traction?

(The more detailed the better)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?