Difference between Wronskian and other methods

In summary, the Wronskian is a more efficient way to determine if two functions are linearly independent than using the definition of linear independence. The Wronskian allows for a formulaic approach, while the definition requires imagination. Both exist to prevent getting second derivatives of the unknown u's in the problem.
Mr Davis 97
I am confused about determining when two or more functions are linearly independent. My textbook notes that the Wronskian can do this, but then it also mentions the definition of linear Independence, that the linear combination ##c_1 f_1 + c_2 f_2 + ... + c_n f_n = 0## only has the trivial solution, and how we could evaluate this at n - 1 points, and see whether the corresponding system of equations only has the trivial solution. So if they both do the same thing, why do both exist? What makes the Wronskian different than just using the definition of linear independence?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
What makes the Wronskian different than just using the definition of linear independence?

The non-vanishing of the Wronskian of two function implies they are linearly independent, but the non-vanishing is not equivalent to the definition of linear independence. If it were then a non-non-vanishing of the Wronskian would imply the non-linear-independence of the two functions. However, the fact the Wronskian of two functions is identically zero on a interval does not imply the two functions are linearly dependent on that interval.

Mr Davis 97 said:
I am confused about determining when two or more functions are linearly independent. My textbook notes that the Wronskian can do this, but then it also mentions the definition of linear Independence, that the linear combination ##c_1 f_1 + c_2 f_2 + ... + c_n f_n = 0## only has the trivial solution, and how we could evaluate this at n - 1 points, and see whether the corresponding system of equations only has the trivial solution. So if they both do the same thing, why do both exist? What makes the Wronskian different than just using the definition of linear independence?

If we use the concept of linear independence (the definition), it can make it extremely tasking and may require a bit of imagination. The Wronskian allows us a formulaic approach to determine if two or more functions are linearly independent.

I have a very similar question so I thought I would just piggy back on to this thread to avoid creating another thread. My question is why is the equation in the red box = 0

Attachments

• 1033_001.pdf
    322.4 KB · Views: 283
rppearso said:
I have a very similar question so I thought I would just piggy back on to this thread to avoid creating another thread. My question is why is the equation in the red box = 0
It isn't given to be ##0##. It is set that way to prevent getting second derivatives of the unknown ##u##'s in the problem. You are just looking for something that works and if that condition helps you succeed, which it does, it was a good idea.

LCKurtz said:
It isn't given to be ##0##. It is set that way to prevent getting second derivatives of the unknown ##u##'s in the problem. You are just looking for something that works and if that condition helps you succeed, which it does, it was a good idea.

thats going to take some time to digest

Remember, you have introduced two unknown ##u## functions which you have inserted to try to find a solution. They can be anything; you are trying to find some that help you solve the problem. So you can have two constraints. One constraint is that your expression must be a solution of the NH equation. You have an additional constraint you can require, and keeping second derivatives out of the equations is a good idea because it makes the method solvable.

LCKurtz said:
Remember, you have introduced two unknown ##u## functions which you have inserted to try to find a solution. They can be anything; you are trying to find some that help you solve the problem. So you can have two constraints. One constraint is that your expression must be a solution of the NH equation. You have an additional constraint you can require, and keeping second derivatives out of the equations is a good idea because it makes the method solvable.

thank you for your help, I am going to add parts of this to my explanation in my write up so I can go back to it later.

What is the Wronskian?

The Wronskian is a mathematical tool used to determine if a set of functions are linearly independent. It takes the form of a determinant and is typically denoted by W(f1, f2, ..., fn).

How is the Wronskian different from other methods of determining linear independence?

Unlike other methods, such as the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters, the Wronskian is a purely algebraic tool that does not involve integration or solving differential equations. It is also applicable to any set of functions, not just those that satisfy a specific differential equation.

Can the Wronskian be used to determine linear dependence?

Yes, the Wronskian can be used to determine linear dependence by evaluating it at a specific point. If the Wronskian is equal to zero at that point, then the functions are linearly dependent at that point. However, it does not necessarily mean that they are linearly dependent at all points.

What is the significance of the Wronskian in differential equations?

The Wronskian is important in differential equations because it can be used to determine the general solution of a homogeneous linear differential equation. If the Wronskian is non-zero, then the functions are linearly independent and the general solution can be expressed as a linear combination of the functions. If the Wronskian is equal to zero, then other methods must be used to find the general solution.

Are there any limitations to using the Wronskian?

Yes, the Wronskian can only determine linear independence or dependence for a set of functions. It cannot be used to determine if the functions are linearly independent or dependent for all points in a given interval. Additionally, it is not applicable to non-homogeneous differential equations.