Linear independence of functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between linear independence of two sets of functions, ##\{x,e^x\}## and ##\{ex,e^x\}##. Both sets only have the trivial solution when represented as a linear combination equal to zero. However, the definition of linear independence states that for all x in an interval I, the only solution should be the trivial one. The first set meets this condition since x and e^x never intersect, but the second set does not, as e(1) is a multiple of e^1 at x=1. However, this does not violate the definition since the solution only works for one particular value of
Mr Davis 97
Is there a difference between the linear independence of ##\{x,e^x\}## and ##\{ex,e^x\}##? It can be shown that both only have the trivial solution when represented as a linear combination equal to zero. However, the definition of linear independence is: "Two functions are linearly independent on the interval ##I## if there exists only the trivial solution to ##c_1f_1 + c_2f_2 + ... + c_nf_n = 0## for all x in ##I##. In the first case, this is obvious since x and e^x never intersect, and so cannot be multiples of each other. However, doesn't the latter case violate this definition since ##e(1)## is a multiple of ##e^1##? I am just confused about the "for all x on I" statement at the end of the definition.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
In the first case, this is obvious since x and e^x never intersect, and so cannot be multiples of each other.
Intersection or non-intersection is irrelevant. The graphs of ##f_1(x) = x^2+1 ## and ##f_2(x) = 2x^2+2## don't intersect, but ## (-2) f_1(x) + (1)f_2(x) = 0 ## at each value of ##x##.

However, doesn't the latter case violate this definition since ##e(1)## is a multiple of ##e^1##?
No. At x = 1, we have ##c_1 (ex) + c_2(e^x) = 0## for ##c_1 = 1## and ##c_2= -1##, but those values ##c_1, c_2## are not solutions that apply to each value of ##x## in some interval. They only work at one particular value of ##x##.

Likes Delta2
For linear independence, a multiplication with elements of your field does not matter at all: x and e*x are equivalent. You multiply them with an arbitrary constant ci anyway.
Mr Davis 97 said:
In the first case, this is obvious since x and e^x never intersect, and so cannot be multiples of each other.
I don't understand that argument. In fact, if two functions intersect (but are not identical), they cannot be multiples of each other. If they never intersect, they can (don't have to) be multiples of each other.

it does not violate the definition because
(-1)e x+(1)e^x=0 if x=1 but not for all x
that is confusing because the "for all x" applies to
##c_1f_1 + c_2f_2 + ... + c_nf_n = 0##
not
there exists only the trivial solution

Mr Davis 97 said:
"Two functions are linearly independent on the interval II if there exists only the trivial solution to c1f1+c2f2+...+cnfn=0c_1f_1 + c_2f_2 + ... + c_nf_n = 0 for all x in II.

you said correctly at the end '' for every ##x \in I## '' this must happen uniformly in ##I## ...

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What does it mean for functions to be linearly independent?

Linear independence of functions refers to a set of functions that cannot be written as a linear combination of each other. This means that no function in the set can be created by multiplying any of the other functions by a constant and adding them together.

2. How do you determine if a set of functions is linearly independent?

To determine if a set of functions is linearly independent, you can use the Wronskian test. This involves calculating the determinant of a matrix formed by the derivatives of the functions. If the determinant is non-zero, the functions are linearly independent. If the determinant is zero, the functions are linearly dependent.

3. Can a set of linearly independent functions be linearly dependent on a different interval?

Yes, it is possible for a set of functions to be linearly independent on one interval and linearly dependent on another. This is because the coefficients used to create a linear combination of the functions can change depending on the interval.

4. What is the importance of linear independence of functions in mathematics?

Linear independence is an important concept in mathematics because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations and find unique solutions. It is also used in fields such as differential equations, linear algebra, and functional analysis.

5. Can two functions be linearly independent if they have the same shape but different amplitudes?

No, two functions cannot be linearly independent if they have the same shape but different amplitudes. This is because one function can be created by scaling the other, making them linearly dependent. Linear independence requires that the functions are truly distinct and cannot be created by scaling or combining each other.