Difference hamiltonian and energy

In summary, the MOST GENERAL statement that determines when the Hamilton function and the energy are equal to each other in classical mechanics is that if the equations of transformation defining the generalized coordinates do not depend explicitly on time and the potential is velocity independent, then the Hamiltonian (H) is equal to the total energy (T + V). However, the identification of H as a constant of motion and as total energy are two separate matters and the conditions sufficient for one may not be enough for the other. In addition, in a natural system (described by the standard holonomic form of Lagrange's equations and with the kinetic energy expressed as a homogeneous quadratic function of the generalized velocities), Jacobi's integral (energy function) is the total mechanical energy
Gavroy
Hi

I am looking for the MOST GENERAL statement that determines, when the Hamilton function and the energy are equal to each other in classical mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gavroy said:
Hi

I am looking for the MOST GENERAL statement that determines, when the Hamilton function and the energy are equal to each other in classical mechanics.
I've been doing a lot of digging lately on this subject to determine exactly this. Mind you, what I'm posting may not be exactly precise because I'm only looking at the statements and haven't followed the derivations if many years.

From Classical Mechanics - Third Edition by Goldstein, Safko and Poole page 345
Further, it was proved in Section 2.7 that if the equations of transformation that define the generalized coordinates (1.38),

rm = rm(q1, …, qn; t)

do not depend explicitly upon time, and if the potential is velocity independent, then H is the total energy T + V. The identification of H as a constant of the motion and as total energy are two separate matters, and the conditions sufficient for one are not enough for the other. It can happen that Eqs. (1.38) do involve time explicitly but that H does not. In this case H is a constant of motion but is not the total energy/ etc.

I also found the following comment regarding Jacobi's integral, aka the energy function, in Classical Dynamics, by Donald T. Greenwood, Dover Pub. (1977). When the energy function is expressed in terms of generalized coordinates and canonical momentum it's called the Hamiltonian. On page 73 the author defines a natural system as a conservative system which has the additional properties

(1) it is described by the standard holonomic form of Lagrange's equations
(2) the kinetic energy is expressed as a homogeneous quadratic function of the generalized velocities.

He then states that under these circumstances Jacobi's integal, aka the energy function, is the total mechanical energy of the system and is an integral of motion, i.e. constant.

Nice! :)

I assume that you know what a conservative system is, yes? I think the term has much to be desired. It makes one think of a quantity that is constant in time. However it's defined as a system in which the force can be expressed as the gradient of a function. If the function does not contain the time explicitly then it's called a conserved system. But such a function can depend on time. E.g. this happens when a charged particle is moving through an electromagnetic field which is time dependant.

1. What is the difference between a Hamiltonian and energy?

A Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the total energy of a system. It takes into account both the kinetic energy and potential energy of the particles in the system. On the other hand, energy is a more general term that refers to the ability of a physical system to do work or produce heat. In classical mechanics, it is often represented as the sum of kinetic and potential energy.

2. How are Hamiltonian and energy related?

The Hamiltonian and energy are related in that the Hamiltonian operator contains information about the energy states of a quantum system. The eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian correspond to the allowed energy levels of the system, and the corresponding eigenstates represent the possible states of the system at a given energy. In this way, the Hamiltonian is a useful tool for calculating the energy of a quantum system.

3. Can the Hamiltonian and energy be used interchangeably?

No, the Hamiltonian and energy cannot be used interchangeably. While they are related, they represent different concepts in physics. The Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator used to calculate the total energy of a quantum system, while energy is a more general term that can refer to various forms of energy in different physical systems.

4. How is the Hamiltonian used in quantum mechanics?

The Hamiltonian is a fundamental tool in quantum mechanics, used to describe the dynamics of a quantum system. It is used to calculate the energy states of a system, as well as the probabilities of a system transitioning between different energy states. It is also used to derive equations of motion, such as the Schrödinger equation, which govern the evolution of quantum systems over time.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Hamiltonian in quantum mechanics?

While the Hamiltonian is a powerful tool in quantum mechanics, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the system is isolated and does not take into account the effects of external forces or interactions with other systems. Additionally, it cannot fully describe systems with strong interactions or in non-equilibrium states. In these cases, more advanced techniques such as perturbation theory or numerical methods may be needed to accurately describe the system's behavior.