Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference of period between cartesian and polar eigenvalue representation

1. Aug 15, 2012 #1
    The solution to a linear differential equation is, y=exp(ax). If a is complex ,say a=b+ic, then the period is T=2pi/c. My question is, if a is in polar form, a=r*exp(iθ), how is the period then T=2pi/θ.

Any help would be great,

Thank,

Will

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2012 #2

Ibix

Science Advisor

It isn't. Consider a trivial case where [itex]a=-1=exp(i\pi)[/itex]. Obviously the period of y is infinite because there is no complex component to a. Therefore the period is not 2, which your latter formula would suggest.

4. Aug 15, 2012 #3
    Thanks Ibix.

I understand ur point.

Im reading a paper and in it a linear stability analysis is done on a model. The characteristic eqt turns out to be, a^2 -(2-d)*a +1=0, a is the eigenvalue and d is a constant from the jacobian matrix. In the paper they say the period of the cycle of the linearised form is T=2pi/arctan(sqrt(4b-b^2)/(2-b)). The denominator of T is equal to θ.

Thanks,

Will

5. Aug 15, 2012 #4
    Sorry, in the equation for T it should be d not b. Any help would be great. Thanks..

6. Aug 16, 2012 #5

Ibix

Science Advisor

Obviously I haven't seen the paper so I might be missing something, but that does not make sense to me.

One, the range of values for T depends on the choice of range of arctan, which is absurd. Two, the right-hand side of the expression for T is dimensionless when it should have dimensions of time.

My money is on a typo in the paper. Might there be an erratum notice somewhere? Is there any numerical data in the paper that you can check, or subsequent derivations?

You could try posting a link to the paper. I'm afraid I shall be out of touch for a few days, but someone else might be able to help.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  7. Aug 16, 2012 #6
    Thanks Ibix.

I emailed the author of the paper, hopefully he can explained it to me.

Ill let you know the result....

8. Aug 16, 2012 #7
    Problem Solved!!

The problem used a discrete system, not a continuous one. So the linearized solution is y=a^k. so in polar form a=r*exp(iθ) then y=r^k * exp(iθk) so the period would be T=2pi/θ.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook