1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Sinusoids as Phasors, Complex Exp, I&Q and Polar form

1. May 10, 2018 #1
    Hi,

I am going around in circles, excuse the pun, with phasors, complex exponentials, I&Q and polar form...

1. A cos (ωt+Φ) = Acos(Φ) cos(ωt) - Asin(Φ)sin(ωt)
    Right hand side is polar form .... left hand side is in cartesian (rectangular) form via a trignometric identity?

2. But then sometimes I read...
    A cos (ωt+Φ) in polar form has corresponding cartesian form of Bcos(ωt)+Csin(ωt), which is fine to understand because this cartesian form gives X and Y coordinates on a cartesian coordinate axes of a vector in that axes.

3. But point 1 and 2 are different, how can Acos (ωt+Φ) in polar represent Bcos(ωt)+Csin(ωt) in cartesian but also be equal to Acos(Φ) cos(ωt) - Asin(Φ)sin(ωt) via a trignometric identity ---> Is it because Acos(Φ) and Asin(Φ) are constants and therefore also B and C? Might be obvious but I need to ask for my own sanity of seeing so much different ways its written.

What about if B and C are not constants due to the phase changing with time Φ(t)?

I am further purplexed by notation used for complex sinusoids.

3. Acos (ωt+Φ) can be represented as the real part of Aei(ωt+Φ)= Acos(ωt+Φ) + iAsin(ωt+Φ)
    but from point 1, the right hand side of this equation can be then re-written with the trigometric identity in point 1, expanding it into 4 terms which removes the phase from the argument and giving constants, like in point 3. So why cannot it not be written without the Φ in the argument on the right hand side and use different constants
    Aei(ωt+Φ)=Bcos(ωt)+iCsin(ωt)

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2018 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Start with ##e^{\pm i\omega t}=\cos\omega t\pm i\sin\omega t##,
    Now,
    $$\begin{align}
    e^{i (\omega t+\phi)}& =e^{i\omega t}e^{i\phi}=(\cos\omega t+i\sin\omega t)(\cos\phi +i\sin\phi)\nonumber \\
    & =(\cos\omega t~cos\phi-\sin\omega t~sin\phi)+i(\sin\omega t~\cos\phi+\cos\omega t~sin\phi)\nonumber
    \end{align}$$Equating real and imaginary parts, gives you two trig identities
    $$\cos(\omega t+\phi)=\cos\omega t~cos\phi-\sin\omega t~sin\phi~;~~~\sin(\omega t+\phi)=\sin\omega t~\cos\phi+\cos\omega t~sin\phi$$
    You can easily show that $$\cos\omega t= \frac{e^{i\omega t}+e^{-i\omega t}}{2}~;~~~\sin\omega t= \frac{e^{i\omega t}-e^{-i\omega t}}{2i}=-i\frac{e^{i\omega t}-e^{-i\omega t}}{2}.$$
    Then,
    $$
    \begin{align}
    A \cos\omega t +B\sin \omega t &=A\frac{e^{i\omega t}+e^{-i\omega t}}{2}-iB\frac{e^{i\omega t}-e^{-i\omega t}}{2}\nonumber \\
    & = \frac{(A-iB)e^{i\omega t}}{2} +\frac{(A+iB)e^{-i\omega t}}{2}\nonumber
    \end{align}$$
    Note that the last expression is real because it is the sum of a number plus its complex conjugate. You can write the complex coefficient in polar form, ##A-iB = re^{i\phi},~r=\sqrt{A^2+B^2}##. In that case,
    $$
    \begin{align}
    A \cos\omega t +B\sin \omega t &= \frac{re^{i(\omega t +\phi)}}{2} +\frac{re^{-i(\omega t +\phi)}}{2}\nonumber\\
    & =\sqrt{A^2+B^2}\cos(\omega t+\phi)\nonumber
    \end{align}.$$
    Note: In the above expression ##\phi = \arctan(B/A)##.
    I hope this clarifies things for you and convinces you that the complex exponential plays a pivotal role in trigonometric transformations.

4. May 11, 2018 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Can that be right? I would have thought that the magnitude of the left hand side is constant but the magnitude of the right hand side is not (it's an ellipse) unless B=C.

5. May 11, 2018 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think that ##B=C## will do it, but ##A=\sqrt{B^2+C^2}## will.
    Suppose ##z = Ae^{i \omega t}=B\cos(\omega t)+iC\sin(\omega t)##, where ##A##, ##B## and ##C## are assumed real.
    Then
    ##|z|^2=(Ae^{i \omega t})(Ae^{-i \omega t})=A^2##
    But also
    ##|z|^2=[B\cos(\omega t)+iC\sin(\omega t)][B\cos(\omega t)-iC\sin(\omega t)]=B^2+C^2##
    The two expressions will match if ##A^2=B^2+C^2## as also shown in post #2.

6. May 12, 2018 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

But the phase has been lost. How can varying B and C coefficients achieve an arbitrary phase for the resultant?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted