Differences of Classical Mechanics when learned with Calc vs algebra?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between intro physics calculus and intro physics algebra. The speaker shares their opinion that calculus makes physics more understandable and interesting, while algebra-based classes can be confusing and underwhelming. They advise avoiding algebra-based physics classes and mention that these classes only teach a limited set of equations as general laws.
martinlematre
what are the differences? Every example I find usually has a derivative or integral or some kind of calculus defined concept that seems to make it easier or more understandable

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you mean "calc v algebra"? I don't understand the difference.

Do you mean "what's the difference between intro physics calculus vs. intro physics algebra?"

If that's what you mean, the courses are very different.

I had the misfortune of having to take an algebra physics class. In my opinion, without calculus, it's way more confusing.

There should never be an "algebra" based physics class. Calculus makes physics much more interesting and understandable. Until I picked up a calculus text, nothing made sense.

The actual questions you're solving are pretty similar, it's just that in an algebra based class, you're never really told why, just how. Avoid algebra based physics at all costs, because the math used is pretty easy, simple derivatives and integrals, nothing more.

Astrum said:
Do you mean "what's the difference between intro physics calculus vs. intro physics algebra?"

If that's what you mean, the courses are very different.

I had the misfortune of having to take an algebra physics class. In my opinion, without calculus, it's way more confusing.

There should never be an "algebra" based physics class. Calculus makes physics much more interesting and understandable. Until I picked up a calculus text, nothing made sense.

The actual questions you're solving are pretty similar, it's just that in an algebra based class, you're never really told why, just how. Avoid algebra based physics at all costs, because the math used is pretty easy, simple derivatives and integrals, nothing more.

wlel I am already in it lol, not making a lot of sense to me (the concepts i am being freshly exposed to)

What astrum has said is all true, algebra based physics classes are only one step above pop science books.

And in fact they teach many highly restrictive equations and treat them as general laws, it is very underwhelming.

What is the difference between learning Classical Mechanics with Calculus versus Algebra?

The main difference between learning Classical Mechanics with Calculus versus Algebra is the level of mathematical complexity. Calculus involves the use of derivatives and integrals, which allow for a more precise and comprehensive understanding of the subject. Algebra, on the other hand, focuses on solving equations and manipulating symbols, which may not provide the same level of depth in understanding.

Do I need to have a strong background in Calculus to understand Classical Mechanics?

While knowledge of Calculus can certainly enhance your understanding of Classical Mechanics, it is not necessarily a requirement. Many concepts in Classical Mechanics can be learned and understood using Algebra. However, having a strong foundation in Calculus can make the learning process easier and more comprehensive.

Can I use Algebraic methods to solve problems in Classical Mechanics that are typically solved using Calculus?

Yes, it is possible to use Algebraic methods to solve problems in Classical Mechanics that are typically solved using Calculus. However, this may require more steps and may not provide the same level of accuracy as using Calculus. It is often more efficient and accurate to use Calculus to solve problems in Classical Mechanics.

Which approach is more commonly used in the study of Classical Mechanics - Calculus or Algebra?

Calculus is the more commonly used approach in the study of Classical Mechanics. This is because it allows for a more precise and comprehensive understanding of the subject. Additionally, many problems and equations in Classical Mechanics are formulated and solved using Calculus.

Are there any advantages to learning Classical Mechanics with Algebra instead of Calculus?

One potential advantage of learning Classical Mechanics with Algebra is that it may be easier for some individuals who struggle with Calculus. Additionally, Algebraic methods may provide a simpler and more intuitive approach for solving certain problems in Classical Mechanics. However, the use of Calculus is still recommended for a deeper understanding of the subject.