Different initial vertical velocities on different planets

In summary, the initial vertical velocities on all planets are the same, regardless of their gravity acceleration constants. However, when considering the effect of extra mass, the initial velocity may be affected due to the limitations of muscle strength.
gbean

Homework Statement

Suppose that I am jumping on the Earth, and I weigh 130 lbs. I push off with an initial vertical velocity of 2 m/s, and reach my highest height at 4 m.

If I were to jump on a different planet with an extra 130 lbs (earth weight) because of a space suit etc., would I have a different vertical velocity?

Homework Equations

delta y = vyi(t) + a(t^2)
vyi = initial vertical velocity
delta y = height
Earth has gravity acceleration constant = 9.8 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

If I were on a planet with a gravity acceleration constant greater than Earth, I would think that I would have a smaller initial vertical velocity because I have to overcome a greater force of gravity.

On the other hand, if I were on a planet with a gravity acceleration constant less than Earth, I would think I would have a greater initial vertical velocity because I have to overcome less force of gravity.

Apparently the initial vertical velocities (neglecting the extra mass of the space suit) are all the same on all planets. I don't understand this! Does this also mean that since they are all the same, if I add the constraint that I have extra mass, I will have a smaller initial vertical velocity (even if I am on a planet with weaker gravity)??

Physics news on Phys.org
gbean said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that I am jumping on the Earth, and I weigh 130 lbs. I push off with an initial vertical velocity of 2 m/s, and reach my highest height at 4 m.

If I were to jump on a different planet with an extra 130 lbs (earth weight) because of a space suit etc., would I have a different vertical velocity?

Homework Equations

delta y = vyi(t) + a(t^2)
vyi = initial vertical velocity
delta y = height
Earth has gravity acceleration constant = 9.8 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

If I were on a planet with a gravity acceleration constant greater than Earth, I would think that I would have a smaller initial vertical velocity because I have to overcome a greater force of gravity.

On the other hand, if I were on a planet with a gravity acceleration constant less than Earth, I would think I would have a greater initial vertical velocity because I have to overcome less force of gravity.

Apparently the initial vertical velocities (neglecting the extra mass of the space suit) are all the same on all planets. I don't understand this! Does this also mean that since they are all the same, if I add the constraint that I have extra mass, I will have a smaller initial vertical velocity (even if I am on a planet with weaker gravity)??

Firstly - if you jump with an initial velocity of 2 m/s on Earth, you won't reach a maximum height of 4 metres - in fact you won't even make it to 1 metre.

Secondly, the velocity with which you leave the ground can become a function of how quickly you can activate your leg muscles.
It might seem that if you were only one tenth your mass, you may be able to achieve 10 times the speed, but consider this: If you lie on your back, with your legs curled, and then as quickly as possible, straighten your legs - can you achieve a speed of 20 m/s [72 km/h] with your feet? Probably not. Probably faster than 2 m/s but not 20 m/s. [I am assuming that onlt about 10% of your weight is in your legs]

Perhaps your problem has be phrased to say you have a common "launch velocity" for simplicity.

1. How does the initial vertical velocity affect an object's motion on different planets?

The initial vertical velocity of an object on different planets will affect its motion by determining the rate at which it accelerates towards the planet's surface. A higher initial vertical velocity will result in a faster acceleration towards the surface, while a lower initial velocity will result in a slower acceleration.

2. Is the gravitational force the same on all planets?

No, the gravitational force is not the same on all planets. The strength of gravity depends on the mass and radius of the planet. For example, the gravitational force on Earth is stronger than on Mars due to Earth's larger mass and radius.

3. How does the atmosphere of a planet affect an object's initial vertical velocity?

The atmosphere of a planet can affect an object's initial vertical velocity by providing resistance or buoyancy. For example, on a planet with a dense atmosphere, an object may experience more air resistance and therefore have a slower initial vertical velocity compared to on a planet with a thin atmosphere.

4. Can an object have the same initial vertical velocity on all planets?

Yes, an object can have the same initial vertical velocity on all planets. However, the effects of gravity and atmosphere may still vary and impact the object's motion differently on each planet.

5. How can the initial vertical velocity on different planets be calculated?

The initial vertical velocity on different planets can be calculated using the equation v = u + gt, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time. The value of g will vary on each planet and can be calculated using the equation g = GM/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and r is the distance from the center of the planet to the object's initial position.