Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Different people have different sweat smell ?

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1
    Is it true that different people have different sweat smell ? If so why ?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Re: Smell

Everyone's personal biochemistry is different. The odour doesn't come from the sweat itself, but from the microorganisms that live in it. What you smell is essentially bacteria ****. Regular perspiration doesn't have that problem, since it's fairly pure water with electrolytes, salts, etc.. Sweat glands in the armpits, groin, and nipples, however, also release an oily substance that bacteria love to nibble on. I'm afraid that I can't remember any specifics right now, but Moonbear and a few other high-mojo biologists will be able to give you more info.

edit: **** meant feces. I just call it like I see it and rely upon the censor software to rein me in. :biggrin:

4. Dec 8, 2008 #3

I love more details for not being misunderstanding this problem, I hope they will clearify soon because I am going to have a long winter sleep from now.

5. Dec 8, 2008 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I'm sure that they'll be with you before long. Sorry that I can't be of any more help myself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?