1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Different units in Bernoulli's equation's terms?

1. Nov 23, 2006 #1
    When I check units in the terms in Bernoulli's equation, they do not match:
    p1 + 1/2 (row) v1^2 = p2 + 1/2 (row) v2^2

On the left hand side of the equation, the first term, pressure must have units of force/unit area; say lb/ft^2. The units in the second term are the product of

row, the density in, say, lb/ft^3
    v1^2, the square of speed, say, ft^2/sec^2,

or [lb/ft^3][ft^2/sec^2] = [ lb/(ft sec^2) ] and this is different from the [lb/ft^2] of the first term. Why?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2006 #2
    A lb isn't a unit of force, it's a units of mass.
  4. Nov 23, 2006 #3
    I thought so!

I haven't done physics in a log time and I am rusty on the basics. I thoght I had the problem that you mention but was not sure. I'll try again using proper force units and I'll come back.
  5. Nov 23, 2006 #4
    I am back!

After reviewing my units, I found that in the SI system, the unit of force is the pound (lb), the unit of mass is the slug and that of acceleration is ft/s^2. I remember that 1lb = 1 slug ft/sec^2. Armed with this knowledge, I atacked the problem as follows:

pressure (p) has units of lb/ft^2 = (slug ft)/(sec^2 ft^2) =
    slug/(ft sec^2)

velocity has units of ft/sec

row, the density has units of slug/ft^3

Then, the second term in the equation must have units of:

(row)v^2 = [slug/ft^3][ft^2/sec^2] = slug/(ft sec^2)] which matches the pressure units of the first term.

Thanks for the reply. It motivated me to arrive at the right answer.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?