Find Pressure at Point A in the Manometer

In summary, the problem involves determining the pressure of the water in pipe A based on the given information of the pressure of air in the tank and the density of the fluid in the tank. The solution involves starting at a known pressure and "walking" the path to point A, taking into account the unequal lengths of the fluid in the "U" shape.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

Determine the pressure of the water in pipe A shown in the figure (p2.56) if the gage pressure of the air in the tank is 2 psi.

I have attached the image

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Figure P2.56

I drew a jumpline at 2ft above point A because everything below point A has the same density. From here I assigned P1 to account for the pressure above the jumpline in the tank and p2 to account for the pressure in the pipe adjacent to it.

P1 = P + ρH2O*3ft

P2 = P1 + ρH2O* 4 ft

PA = P2 + ρSG*4ft

PA = ρSG*4ft + ρH2O*4ft + P + ρH2O*3ft

γH2O = 62.4 lb/ft3 taken from textbook

SG = ρfluidH2O@4°

ρSG = 0.9*1.940 slug/ft3

PA = 4ft(.9*1.940 slugs/ft3) + 62.4 lb/ft3 + 2lb/in[SUP2[/SUP]*144in2/1ft2 + 62.4lb/ft3*3ft

PA = 731.784 lb/ft2

My answer should be 525 lb/ft2

I'm not sure where I've gone wrong. I realize that I have slugs in my calculation witht he pressure of the fluid with the given SG but I'm not sure how to deal with them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• ME 2.56.jpg
    ME 2.56.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 940
Physics news on Phys.org
There's unequal lengths of the mystery fluid in the "U", so I don't think you can count on the fluid pressure at the bottom of the tank being the same as the pressure at point A, even though they are at the same elevation and the same fluid is below your "jumpline" in each.

Instead, start at a point of known pressure and "walk" the path to point A. The surface of the water in the tank would be a good place to start.

attachment.php?attachmentid=56950&stc=1&d=1363875841.gif

Note that you can count on the pressure being the same across the top of the "U" at the height of the water surface, since the same fluid is continuous along the path from one side of the "U" to the other.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 1,795
Likes gracy

1. What is a manometer?

A manometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the pressure of a fluid, gas, or vapor. It typically consists of a U-shaped tube filled with a liquid, and the pressure of the substance being measured causes the liquid to rise or fall in one side of the tube.

2. How does a manometer work?

A manometer works on the principle of balancing the pressure of a fluid or gas with the weight of a liquid. As the pressure in one side of the U-shaped tube changes, the liquid level in that side will rise or fall. This change in liquid level can be measured and converted into a numerical value representing the pressure of the substance being measured.

3. What is the difference between a closed-end and open-end manometer?

A closed-end manometer has one end of the U-shaped tube sealed, while an open-end manometer has both ends open. In a closed-end manometer, the pressure being measured is compared to atmospheric pressure, while in an open-end manometer, the pressure difference between two points is measured.

4. How do you find the pressure at a specific point in a manometer?

To find the pressure at a specific point, you must first measure the difference in liquid levels between that point and the reference point. Then, you can use the equation P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the liquid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the difference in liquid levels. This will give you the pressure in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

5. What are the common units of pressure used in manometers?

The most common units of pressure used in manometers are psi (pounds per square inch), inHg (inches of mercury), cmHg (centimeters of mercury), and mmHg (millimeters of mercury). Other units such as Pa (pascals) and bar (bars) may also be used, depending on the application.