1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Different ways that Log appears

1. Mar 12, 2008 #1
    Not so much a question query here but a query about how my question is written.

Im having to do some integration and my question has one part loge (log sub e). I think that this is just natural log which i usually see written as ln(x). Is this correct? However my table of integrals has e^x. Is this the same too? I seem to be getting confused by all the different ways of writting these logrithms. Can someone clarify please as to what each of these terms really means?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Correct, loge(x) is identical to ln(x) and is given the name "natural logarithm".
    However, ex is not the same as the natural logarithm, it is in fact it's inverse. Explicitly,

[tex]\log_e\left(e^x\right) = \ln\left(e^x\right) = x[/tex]

[tex]e^{\ln(x)} = x[/tex]

[tex]\log_a\left(a^x\right) = x[/tex]

[tex]a^{\log_a(x)} = x[/tex]

I hope this helps clear things up for you.
  4. Mar 12, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]log_e(x)[/tex] means the same as ln(x).

You would pronounce it "logarithm, base e".

I suspect that the examiner is worried that some people use "log" for natural logs (I prefer that), and some for log-base-10, so he's written "[tex]log_e(x)[/tex]" to remove any doubt. :smile:
    Sorry, I don't follow this part of your query. :confused:
  5. Mar 12, 2008 #4
    Many thanx..... Thats just what I was looking for. Things should be straightforward now, well as straightforward as integration can be i suppose!

Again many thanx for the help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?