Rearranging m1-m2=-2.5log10(F1/F2) to find F1

  • Thread starter Thread starter Physics Dad
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
Physics Dad
Messages
54
Reaction score
1
Please excuse my ignorance for posting this question, but I am confusing myself here. All I want to know is if I am rearranging this equation properly to find the value required...

Question

I want to rearrange the following equation to make F1 the subject.

Equations
m1-m2=-2.5log10(F1/F2)

My Thinking

So rearranging the above formula for F1 it becomes:

F1=10-(m1-m2)/2.5 x F2

When it comes to rearranging logs (one of the most straight forward and simple things, I know) I find myself easily confused.

Please don't tell me the correct arrangement if I am wrong, just a little guidance please.

Thank you in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics Dad said:
Equations
m1-m2=-2.5log10(F1/F2)

My Thinking

So rearranging the above formula for F1 it becomes:

F1=10-m2/2.5 x F2
That doesn't look right to me.

Start by moving the -2.5 to the LHS. Then you have log_10() on the RHS, so raise both sides to 10^() to get rid of the log term...
 
Thanks,

So basically raise everything to 10, get rid of the logs, rearrange, take everything to the 10√ ?

F1=-F2(m1-m2/2.5)

Or is that silly?
 
Physics Dad said:
Thanks,

So basically raise everything to 10, get rid of the logs, rearrange, take everything to the 10√ ?

F1=-F2(m1-m2/2.5)

Or is that silly?
No, not close. Try showing each step that I mention in my first reply, and then continue with the algebra after that. Please show each step separately so we can check it.
 
OK, thanks...

So here goes:

m1-m2=-2.5log10(F1/F2)

-(m1-m2)/2.5=log10(F1/F2)

F1/F2=10-(m1-m2)/2.5

Is this right so far?
 
Physics Dad said:
OK, thanks...

So here goes:

m1-m2=-2.5log10(F1/F2)

-(m1-m2)/2.5=log10(F1/F2)

F1/F2=10-(m1-m2)/2.5

Is this right so far?
Yes!
 
so to finish it off it would be:

F1=(F2)(10-(m1-m2)/2.5)

?
 
That's great, thank you so much for your help here.

I am sure it was frustrating for you, but it really helped me!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman