What is the difference between ln 4 and log 4?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation is about the integral of (1/x) from 1 to 4 and the different notations used for natural logarithm. The textbook answer is ln 4, but some people argue that it should be written as log 4. However, ln 4 and log 4 are not equal and ln 4 is actually greater than log 4. This is due to the different shorthand notations used for natural logarithm, with ln(x) and log_e(x) being equivalent. Therefore, in this context, the answer is ln 4.
mathdad
I am reviewing Calculus 1 integration learned long ago in the 1990s.

Integrate (1/x) dx from 1 to 4.

The textbook answer is ln 4.

However, many of my friends tell me that the answer can also be written as log 4.

But, ln 4 does NOT equal log 4.

In fact, ln 4 > log 4.

Who is right? Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what shorthand notation one uses for $\log_e(x)$.

MarkFL said:
It depends on what shorthand notation one uses for $\log_e(x)$.

The integral of (1/x) is ln x.

From 1 to 4:

ln 4 - ln 1

ln 4 - 0

Answer: ln 4

However, my friend said the following:

log 4 - log 1

log 4 - 0

log 4

Who is right?

I'll expand a bit beyond MarkFL's comment. You problem is a matter of notation, not a conceptual one.

In many sources we have that \(\displaystyle ln(x) = log_e(x)\). Sometimes you will see \(\displaystyle log_e(x) = log(x)\). In fact some also say that \(\displaystyle log_{10}(x) = log(x)\).

In your case we need the \(\displaystyle ln(4) = log_e(x)\).

-Dan

1. What is basic integration?

Basic integration is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve. It involves finding the anti-derivative of a function and evaluating it at two points to determine the area between those points and the x-axis.

2. Why is basic integration important?

Basic integration is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of mathematical problems, such as finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape, calculating work done by a variable force, and determining the probability of an event occurring.

3. What are the different methods of basic integration?

There are several methods of basic integration, including substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitution. Each method is useful for different types of functions and can make solving integration problems easier.

4. How can I improve my basic integration skills?

To improve your basic integration skills, practice solving a variety of integration problems, use online resources and textbooks to learn new techniques, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It is also important to have a solid understanding of algebra and basic calculus concepts.

5. When is it necessary to use basic integration?

Basic integration is necessary whenever we need to find the area under a curve or solve problems involving rates of change, such as velocity or acceleration. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as economics, physics, and engineering.