1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiable Function on an interval

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    Let f:[a,b][itex]\rightarrow[/itex]R be continuous on [a,b] and differentiable in (a,b). Show that if lim f'(x)=A as x goes to a then f'(a) exist and equals A.

So I was thinking this has to do either with the mean value theorem or Darboux's Theorem.

I have that
    f(b)-f(a)=f'(c)(b-a) by the mean value theorem.

From here I stuck on how to get the x into the equation.
    Would I say that let x=c.

Then we have
    f'(x)=[itex]\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}[/itex]=A

If so how would I work in the f'(a)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2012 #2
    It really comes down to the definitions of continuity and differentiability. They are asking you to show that:
    if f(x) is continuous for all x [itex]\in[/itex] [a,b]
    and if f(x) is differentiable for all x [itex]\in[/itex] (a,b)
    and if lim f'(x) as x->a exists
    then f'(a) exists
    f(x) is differentiable in the interval (a,b) and the one-sided limit as x->a of f'(x) exists, therefore f'(a) exists. If f'(a) exists, then f'(x) is differentiable at x=a. Differentiability implies continuity, and so f'(x) would also be continuous at x=a. If f'(x) is continuous at x=a, then you can say by the definition of continuity that:
    [itex]\stackrel{lim}{x→a} f'(x) = f'(a) = A[/itex]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  4. Jun 27, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"If f'(a) exists, then f'(x) is differentiable at x= a" That is, that f is twice differentiable at x= a? Why is that true?

It looks to me like the statement in the first post is not even true. Let f(x)= |x|. Then f is continuous for all x and so on [0, 1]. Further, f is differentiable in (0, 1)- its derivative is just 1 for all x in (0, 1). The limit of f'(x), as x goes to 0, is, of course, 1 but f is NOT differentable at x= 0.

5. Jun 27, 2012 #4
    Sorry, you are correct HallsofIvy. I don't know how I missed that. Well, at least the first part is correct, f'(a) exists. I guess the question then is does continuity and differentiability of f imply continuity of df/dx? I know that f(x) being differentiable alone doesn't necessarily prove it, but if f(x) is also continuous then I see no reason why df/dx is not continuous. I have googled it extensively with not much luck.

6. Jun 27, 2012 #5
    What about this...
    [itex]f'(x) = \stackrel{lim}{s→x}\frac{f(s)-f(x)}{s-x}[/itex]

[itex]\stackrel{lim}{x→a}f'(x)[/itex]
    [itex]= \stackrel{lim}{(x→a)} \stackrel{lim}{(s→x)}\frac{f(s)-f(x)}{s-x}[/itex]
    [itex]= \stackrel{lim}{s→a}\frac{f(s)-f(a)}{s-a} = f'(a)[/itex]

[itex]\stackrel{lim}{x→a}f'(x) = f'(a) = A[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook