1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiable Linear Transformation

1. Mar 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let V be the linear space of all real functions Differentiable on (0,1). If f is in V define g=T(f) to mean that g(t)=tf'(t) for all t in (0,1). Prove that every real λ is an eigenvalue for T, and determine the eigenfunctions corresponding to λ.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

All I know is that f'=λf and T(f)=λf in general. I tried substituting the variables, and I ended up with only t, which doesn't make sense.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2013 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you use the definitions of "eigenvalue", "eigenfunction" and T to explain what "f is an eigenfunction of T with eigenvalue λ" means?

Edit: You have already given a partial answer for that by saying that Tf=λf. This is the part that follows from the definitions of eigenvalue and eigenfunction. So now you need to use the definition of T to explain what Tf=λf means.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted