Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential cross section w.r.t rapidity

1. Oct 26, 2007 #1

neu

I'm extracting data from a Monte Carlo sim. and i need to extract the differential cross-sections of the resultant protons and neutrons in momentum and rapidity space.

ie
    [tex]\frac{d\sigma}{dy}[/tex] ; [tex]\frac{d\sigma}{dp}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{d^2\sigma}{dydp}[/tex]

where I know the values of y and p (magnitude).

but how do I do it?

My attempts centre around [tex]\int{dy\frac{d\sigma}{dy}}=\sigma=\frac{Rate}{Luminosity}[/tex]

I know its simple but I'm confused

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2007 #2
    Just out of interest: Which MC sim and what process? Generally: Could you just create a large number of events, extract the momenta and rapidities from the events, fill the values into a histogram and normalize to the total cross-section?

4. Oct 27, 2007 #3

neu

It's a Pythia MC sim of proton-antiproton collision.

Is this what you meant?
    effectively [tex]\frac{d\sigma}{dp}=\frac{\sigma_{total}}{p}[/tex] ???

as

[tex]\sigma_{total}=\int{dp\frac{d\sigma}{dp}}=\int{dy\frac{d\sigma}{dy}}[/tex]

so in that case [tex]\frac{d^{2}\sigma}{dydp}=\frac{d\sigma}{dy}\frac{d\sigma}{dp}=\frac{\sigma_{total}^{2}}{yp}[/tex]

This is what i have done but I have little confidence in my reasoning.

5. Oct 27, 2007 #4
    Uh... you might want to have another look at your 1st semester calculus book.

6. Oct 27, 2007 #5

neu

I know i've buggered it up. I'm not bad at calculus, but I have a lot of trouble with the seemingly "intuitive" steps like this and I get stuck in a rut.

could you just point me in the right direction?

7. Oct 27, 2007 #6
    [tex]\frac{d\sigma}{dp}\approx \frac{\Delta \sigma}{\Delta p}[/tex]

I believe what Timo was trying to explain was that. With the events normalized in such a way that they represent cross sections.

So, if you can get the rapidity and momentum out of the events somehow, make a histogram with that plots each event for a given rapidity (or momentum) and use the above once you have normalized so that the events correlate to the cross section.

8. Oct 27, 2007 #7

neu

I'm sorry I not quite getting it. I have obtained the momentum and rapidity distributions from the sim ie p versus number of events at p.

So what am I normalising? I don't understand. I only know the total cross section not [tex]\Delta\sigma[/tex]

could you be more explicit?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?