1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Eq- Power Series Solution

1. Jul 28, 2009 #1
    Find a power series sol'n: (x2-1)y'' + 3xy' + xy = 0

2. Relevant equations
    let y = [tex]\Sigma[/tex] (from [tex]\infty[/tex] to n=0) Cnxn
    let y' = [tex]\Sigma[/tex] (from [tex]\infty[/tex] to n=1) nCnxn-1
    let y'' = [tex]\Sigma[/tex] (from [tex]\infty[/tex] to n=2) n(n-1)Cnxn-2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I wrote the differential eq as: x2y''-y''+3xy'+xy=0

Substituting back into the differential eq and multiplying the x2 gives:
    [tex]\Sigma[/tex] (from [tex]\infty[/tex] to n=2) n(n-1)Cnxn - [tex]\Sigma[/tex] (from [tex]\infty[/tex] to n=2) n(n-1)Cnxn-2 + 3[tex]\Sigma[/tex] (from [tex]\infty[/tex] to n=1) nCnxn + [tex]\Sigma[/tex] (from [tex]\infty[/tex] to n=0) Cnxn+1 = 0

For the first 2 terms I let k=n-2 , n=k+2 which would give:
    [tex]\Sigma[/tex] (from [tex]\infty[/tex] to k=0) (k+2)(k+1)Ck+2xk+2 - [tex]\Sigma[/tex] (from [tex]\infty[/tex] to k=0) (k+2)(k+1)Ck+2xk

For the 3rd and 4th term I let k=n which would give:
    3[tex]\Sigma[/tex] (from [tex]\infty[/tex] to k=1) kCkxk + [tex]\Sigma[/tex] (from [tex]\infty[/tex] to k=0) Ckxk+1

The new series would be:
    [tex]\Sigma[/tex] (from [tex]\infty[/tex] to k=0) (k+2)(k+1)Ck+2xk+2 - [tex]\Sigma[/tex] (from [tex]\infty[/tex] to k=0) (k+2)(k+1)Ck+2xk + 3[tex]\Sigma[/tex] (from [tex]\infty[/tex] to k=1) kCkxk + [tex]\Sigma[/tex] (from [tex]\infty[/tex] to k=0) Ckxk+1

I don't know how to make the starting value of each index the same (from [tex]\infty[/tex] to k=0) and how would I get to the general solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

First off a tip. Write your summations like this: \sum_{n=a}^\infty. This will look like [itex] \sum_{n=a}^\infty[/itex], which is a lot neater. Secondly put the tex brackets around your entire equation, not just the summation symbols.

This will make your equation look like:
    [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty c_n x^n[/tex]

Let's start with a simple example. Take [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty c_{n-1}x^{n-1}[/itex]. We want to write this series as [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty c_k x^k[/itex]. Lets take a look at the first series.

[tex]
    \sum_{n=1}^\infty c_{n-1}x^{n-1}=c_0 x^0+c_1 x^1+c_2 x^2+...
    [/tex]

We obviously want [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty c_k x^k[/itex] to be equal to this. So how would you express k in terms of n?

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty c_k x^k=c_0 x^0+c_1 x^1+c_2 x^2+...[/tex]?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook