Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation and Mathematica

1. Apr 26, 2007 #1
    Hi all,

Does anyone know if Mathematica can numerically solve a second order differential equation?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure can. Look up NDSolve.
  4. Apr 26, 2007 #3
    Well, I have been trying to solve this equation with mathematica for the past two hours with no luck.

The general differential equation I am trying to solve is [tex]u''_i(T) = .65\frac{u'_{i-1}(T)-u'_{i}(T)}{u_{i-1}(T)-u_{i}(T)}+750(u_{i-1}(T)-u_{i}(T)-1)^3[/tex] where i= 1,2,3 and [tex]u'_0(T)=2\pi*Sin(2*\pi*T)[/tex]

The initial conditions are [tex]u_i(0)=-i[/tex] and [tex]u'_i(0)=0[/tex]. I tried using NDSolve but it kept saying that the input was not a differential equation. Does anyone know what should be the syntax of the NDSolve function I need?
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  5. Apr 26, 2007 #4
    Well, I finally was able to get the NDSolve to work for this differential equation for T values from 0 to 24 and I set the NDSolve function to the variable "soln". So what function should I use to graph the numerical solutions?
  6. Apr 27, 2007 #5
    Look into the help browser of Mathematica (press F1) under NDSolve. There should be a list of examples (see 'Further examples'). From this you will also see how to plot the solution provided by NDSolve. See also http://documents.wolfram.com/mathem.../EquationSolving/FurtherExamples/NDSolve.html.

Finally, I should point out, that this question really belongs in the Mathematica newsgroup, found through Google Groups.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?