1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation asymptotes

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1
    Hi guys, I just have a very broad and general question.
    Today in math class I was asked to solve the horizontal asymptote of a differential equation, and this had me stumped.

Later on, the teacher gave me the following two examples:

The solution to the first equation for a horizontal asymptote is DNE
    The solution to the second is 2

Now, I'm just wondering... How would one know that this is true without solving for the original equation? I mean, this doesn't seem intuitive at all to me. Why is it that when X is what makes the differential equation 0 there is no asymptote and when Y makes the equation 0 there is?

Thanks for all the help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2011 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have a horizontal asymptote then as x approaches infinity, dy/dx has to approach zero, right?
  4. Dec 7, 2011 #3
    but isn't it not enough information just to assume that whenever dy/dx=0 when the y value is making the dy/dx 0? I mean, I see where you're comming from with as x approaches negative infinity or infinity dy/dx has to approach 0 but I don't understand how you can just tell from the equation that a dy/dx involving a y will DEFINITELY have a horizontal asymptote. Is it because all forms of differential equation involving y will have a solution like e^something?
  5. Dec 7, 2011 #4

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Also, the reason for dy/dx being zero if y is a certain number implying a horizontal asymptote is simple: If when y is a certain number, then dy/dx is zero, then the graph is going to be flat at that point. This means that y won't change as x changes, but since y doesn't change, then dy/dx is going to stay zero. Hence, horizontal asymptote.
  6. Dec 7, 2011 #5
    aha! I think i got it, so if the slope of dy/dx is 0, either the change in y (dy) must equal 0 OR the change in x (dx) must be infinity? and if the y isn't changing, then the slope will not change after it theoretically reaches 0, because dy/dx is dependent on y itself?
  7. Dec 7, 2011 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you can definitely say that the first equation doesn't have an asymptote. In the second equation there is at least a possible y value for a horizontal asymptote. One way to look at it is if y>2 then the function y is increasing. If y<2 it's decreasing. Imagine what must happen as x->-infinity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?