Differential equation d^2f/dx^2-(3-2i)f=0

In summary, the given function obeys the differential equation d^2f/dx^2-(3-2i)f=0, and satisfies the conditions f(0)=1 and f(x)->0 as x->infinity. To find the value of f(∏)=0, the function's general solution is needed. Using the complex root of the form a+ib, the solution is written as f(x)=Aeaxcos(bx) + Beaxsin(bx). To find the values of A and B, the real and imaginary parts of the complex root \sqrt{}3-2i need to be determined.
gnrlies00
the function obeys the differential equation d^2f/dx^2-(3-2i)f=0 , and satisfy the condition f(0)=1 and f(x)----->o ,for x-----> infinity , for f=0 calculate the value of f(∏)?

Can Anybody give me any hints how to go about this problem?

What I know is the following;

D^2f/Dy^2=(3-2i)f
=> D^2=(3-2i)
=> D=[itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\sqrt{}(3-2i)[/itex]
→f(=Ae^[itex]\sqrt{}(3-2i)[/itex]x + Be^-[itex]\sqrt{}(3-2i)[/itex]x

Please Help

Physics news on Phys.org
gnrlies00 said:
the function obeys the differential equation d^2f/dx^2-(3-2i)f=0 , and satisfy the condition f(0)=1 and f(x)----->o ,for x-----> infinity , for f=0 calculate the value of f(∏)?

D^2f/Dy^2=(3-2i)f
=> D^2=(3-2i)

Please Help

The way I did it successfully was to write separate DEs for the real and imaginary parts of f; this will give you two coupled linear second-order ODEs, which you can solve in the usual way: assume f = exp(r*x) and find r, etc.

OK, so I separate the differential equation:

d2f/dx2 - 3f = 0 and d2/dx2 + 2i = 0
roots are [itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\sqrt{}3[/itex] and [itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\sqrt{}2i^2[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(x)= Asin[itex]\sqrt{}3[/itex]x + Bcos[itex]\sqrt{}3[/itex]x and f(x)=Csin[itex]\sqrt{}2i^2[/itex] + Dcos[itex]\sqrt{}2i^2[/itex]

applying first condition f(0)=1,

f(x)=Asin[itex]\sqrt{}3[/itex]x + 1.cos[itex]\sqrt{}3[/itex]x and f(x)=Csin[itex]\sqrt{}2i^2[/itex] + 1.cos[itex]\sqrt{}2i^2[/itex]

please give me hints on how to go about the second condition, so as to determine the remaining constants.
thanks!

gnrlies00 said:
OK, so I separate the differential equation:

d2f/dx2 - 3f = 0 and d2/dx2 + 2i = 0
roots are [itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\sqrt{}3[/itex] and [itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\sqrt{}2i^2[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(x)= Asin[itex]\sqrt{}3[/itex]x + Bcos[itex]\sqrt{}3[/itex]x and f(x)=Csin[itex]\sqrt{}2i^2[/itex] + Dcos[itex]\sqrt{}2i^2[/itex]

applying first condition f(0)=1,

f(x)=Asin[itex]\sqrt{}3[/itex]x + 1.cos[itex]\sqrt{}3[/itex]x and f(x)=Csin[itex]\sqrt{}2i^2[/itex] + 1.cos[itex]\sqrt{}2i^2[/itex]

please give me hints on how to go about the second condition, so as to determine the remaining constants.
thanks!

No. You absolutely cannot do what you tried above. You have two *coupled* DEs, and you need to set up a 2x2 system to find the characteristic roots. So, if f = F + iG (F,G real) you have
[tex]D^2(F + iG) =(3-2i)(F + iG) = (3F + 2G) + i(3G - 2F),[/tex]
or
[tex] F'' = 3F + 2G\\
G'' = -2F + 3G[/tex]
When you write ##F= ae^{rx}, \: G = be^{rx}## (same r for both) you get the equations
[tex] r^2 a e^{rx} = 3a e^{rx} + 2b e^{rx} \\
r^2 b e^{rx} = -2ae^{rx} + 3b e^{rx} [/tex]
so
[tex] (r^2 - 3)a - 2b = 0\\
2a + (r^2 - 3) b = 0 [/tex]
In order to have a nonzero solution we need the determinant of the coefficients = 0, so we need ##(r^2-3)^2 + 4 = 0, ## so ##r =\pm \sqrt{3 + 2 i}## or ##r = \pm \sqrt{3 - 2 i}.## These are, of course, what you wrote before. However, we are still not done: you need to find the real and imaginary parts, so you need to write ##\sqrt(2 + 3i) = u + iv## with real u,v, etc. That will give you functions like ##e^{ux} \sin(vx)## and ##e^{ux} \cos(vx).## Do that first, and if the solution is not then obvious come back for some more hints.

Note: you could have done this the way you tried in your first post, but what stopped you from making more progress then was your failure to write the real and imaginary parts of ##\sqrt{3 - 2i}.##

gnrlies00 said:

D^2f/Dy^2=(3-2i)f
=> D^2=(3-2i)

Please Help

You gave the general solution of the differential equation. Now find A and B so as the conditions f(0)=1 and lim(f)=0 at infinity fulfil.

To see the asymptotic behaviour of f, write sqrt(3-2i) in the form u+iv.

ehild

Ray Vickson said:
No. You absolutely cannot do what you tried above. You have two *coupled* DEs, and you need to set up a 2x2 system to find the characteristic roots. So, if f = F + iG (F,G real) you have
[tex]D^2(F + iG) =(3-2i)(F + iG) = (3F + 2G) + i(3G - 2F),[/tex]
or
[tex] F'' = 3F + 2G\\
G'' = -2F + 3G[/tex]
When you write ##F= ae^{rx}, \: G = be^{rx}## (same r for both) you get the equations
[tex] r^2 a e^{rx} = 3a e^{rx} + 2b e^{rx} \\
r^2 b e^{rx} = -2ae^{rx} + 3b e^{rx} [/tex]
so
[tex] (r^2 - 3)a - 2b = 0\\
2a + (r^2 - 3) b = 0 [/tex]
In order to have a nonzero solution we need the determinant of the coefficients = 0, so we need ##(r^2-3)^2 + 4 = 0, ## so ##r =\pm \sqrt{3 + 2 i}## or ##r = \pm \sqrt{3 - 2 i}.## These are, of course, what you wrote before. However, we are still not done: you need to find the real and imaginary parts, so you need to write ##\sqrt(2 + 3i) = u + iv## with real u,v, etc. That will give you functions like ##e^{ux} \sin(vx)## and ##e^{ux} \cos(vx).## Do that first, and if the solution is not then obvious come back for some more hints.

Note: you could have done this the way you tried in your first post, but what stopped you from making more progress then was your failure to write the real and imaginary parts of ##\sqrt{3 - 2i}.##

I am really confused about how to go about this problem,
following are the points that I am confused with

1) are The complex roots of the equation [itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\sqrt{}3-2i[/itex], or as you have mentioned using matrices [itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\sqrt{}3\pm2i[/itex]

2) If I try to solve it using the complex root of the form a+ib ; a,b are real
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] e(a+ib)x=eaxebix
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] =eaxcos(bx) + ieaxsin(bx)

since complex root come in conjugate pairs
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] e(a-ib)x = eaxcos(bx) - ieaxsin(bx)

after solving, we get the solution as
f(x)=Aeaxcos(bx) + Beaxsin(bx); where A & B are constants.

3) If the above general solution is correct, how do I write [itex]\sqrt{}3-2i[/itex] in terms of u+vi

Please help

gnrlies00 said:
I am really confused about how to go about this problem,
following are the points that I am confused with

1) are The complex roots of the equation [itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\sqrt{}3-2i[/itex], or as you have mentioned using matrices [itex]\pm[/itex][itex]\sqrt{}3\pm2i[/itex]

2) If I try to solve it using the complex root of the form a+ib ; a,b are real
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] e(a+ib)x=eaxebix
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] =eaxcos(bx) + ieaxsin(bx)

since complex root come in conjugate pairs
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] e(a-ib)x = eaxcos(bx) - ieaxsin(bx)

after solving, we get the solution as
f(x)=Aeaxcos(bx) + Beaxsin(bx); where A & B are constants.

3) If the above general solution is correct, how do I write [itex]\sqrt{}3-2i[/itex] in terms of u+vi

Please help

to get z = √(3 - 2i) there are two methods:
(1) Directly: set ##z = u+iv,## then require that ##(u+iv)^2 = 3 - 2i.## This gives two equations for u and v when you expand out the left-hand-side.
(2) Polar form: write ##3 - 2i = r e^{i \theta}.## Finding ##r, \theta## is a standard problem that I will not say any more about. Once you know ##r, \theta## we have
##z = \pm \, r^{1/2} e^{i \theta/2} = \pm [r^{1/2} \cos(\theta/2) + i r^{1/2} \sin(\theta/2)].##

Ray Vickson said:
to get z = √(3 - 2i) there are two methods:
(1) Directly: set ##z = u+iv,## then require that ##(u+iv)^2 = 3 - 2i.## This gives two equations for u and v when you expand out the left-hand-side.
(2) Polar form: write ##3 - 2i = r e^{i \theta}.## Finding ##r, \theta## is a standard problem that I will not say any more about. Once you know ##r, \theta## we have
##z = \pm \, r^{1/2} e^{i \theta/2} = \pm [r^{1/2} \cos(\theta/2) + i r^{1/2} \sin(\theta/2)].##

Converting z = √(3 - 2i) into polar form I get
z =[itex]\pm[/itex] r/2 eiθ/2 = [itex]\pm[/itex][131/4e163i/2]
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] z=-2+05i or 2-0.5i

Now , should I use these z as my new complex roots and use it in my general solution?

Please help, I am having a real hard time figuring the out the solution of this problem.

Last edited:
You had, back in your first post, the correct general solution:
[tex]f(x)= Ae^{\sqrt{3- 2i}x}+ Be^{-\sqrt{3- i}x}[/tex]
You are told that f(0)= 1 so f(0)= A+ B= 1. You are also told that the function value goes to 0 as x goes to infinity which means that you cannot have an exponential with positive real part in the exponent. That tells you that A= 0.

I have no idea what "for f=0 calculate the value of f(∏)" means! It's not hard to "calculate the value of f(∏) but I don't understand "for f= 0".

HallsofIvy said:
You had, back in your first post, the correct general solution:
[tex]f(x)= Ae^{\sqrt{3- 2i}x}+ Be^{-\sqrt{3- i}x}[/tex]
You are told that f(0)= 1 so f(0)= A+ B= 1. You are also told that the function value goes to 0 as x goes to infinity which means that you cannot have an exponential with positive real part in the exponent. That tells you that A= 0.

I have no idea what "for f=0 calculate the value of f(∏)" means! It's not hard to "calculate the value of f(∏) but I don't understand "for f= 0".

that's a typo, It's calculate the value of f(∏)?

I can't understand how to go about the second condition, f(x)→0 as x→∞
lim e^-x as x→∞ is zero [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] B=0
lim e^x as x→∞ is infinity

Substituting B=0 in condition 1 , we get A=1
therefore,
f(x)= 1.e√(3-2i)x+ 0.e-√(3- 2i)x
hence, the general solution is
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(x) = e√(3- 2i)x

Now can I replace the √(3-2i) term with it's polar form??

Please tell me if what I have done is correct.

Last edited:
Write √(3-2i) in the form u+iv.

ehild

ehild said:
Write √(3-2i) in the form u+iv.

ehild

the general solution is
f(x)= e√(3-2i)x

z =± r1/2 eiθ/2 = ±[131/4 e163i/2]
⇒ z=-2+0.5i or 2-0.5i

the general solution becomes
⇒ f(x)= e(-2+0.5i)x + e(2-0.5i)x Is this correct??

gnrlies00 said:
the general solution is
f(x)= e√(3-2i)x

z =± r1/2 eiθ/2 = ±[131/4 e163i/2]
⇒ z=-2+0.5i or 2-0.5i

the general solution becomes
⇒ f(x)= e(-2+0.5i)x + e(2-0.5i)x

Is this correct??
(2 - 0.5i)2 = 3.75 - 2 i

So, no that's not correct.

SammyS said:
(2 - 0.5i)2 = 3.75 - 2 i

So, no that's not correct.

could you please explain how to go about, so as to get (2 - 0.5i)2

also, wrt the above quote, my general equation now become

f(x)= e3.75-2i

gnrlies00 said:
could you please explain how to go about, so as to get (2 - 0.5i)2

also, wrt the above quote, my general equation now become

f(x)= e3.75-2i

That's not correct either.

What I said meant that since (2 - 0.5i)2 = 3.75 - 2i , then (2 - 0.5i)2 ≠ 3 + 2i,

so that it can't be true that (2 - 0.5i) is the same as (3 - 2i)1/2 .

√(3-2i)=u+iv. The general solution is

f(x)=Ae(u-iv)x+Be-(u+iv)x.3-2i=(u+iv)2=u2-v2+2iuv

Comparing real and imaginary parts, you get a system of equations for u and v.

3=u2-v2
2uv=-2, so v=-1/u

Substituting for v into the first equation: 3=u2-1/u2 so u2 obeys the quadratic equation
u4-3u2-1.

The solution can not be negative so you are left with a single solution for u2, and u=√(u2)

As u is positive the first term exponentially grows as x tends to infinity. Therefore A=0.

Your solution which tends to zero at infinity is f(x)=Be-(u-iv)x. f(0)=1, so B=1.

Find the numerical value of both u and v.

ehild

Thank you guys for all your help,

writing √(3-2i) interms of u+vi, we get

(1.81-0.55i), which I had previously rounded up into (2-0.5i)

Hence after applying the conditions, the general solution is

f(x)=e-(1.81-0.55i)x
which is approximately
f(x)≈e-(2-0.5i)x
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(x)≈e-2xe(0.5i)x
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(x)≈e-2x (cos(0.5)x+isin(0.5)x)

Hence,
f(∏)≈e-2∏(-1+0)
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(∏)≈ -e-2∏

thanks once again, I learned a lot of things from this problem..

gnrlies00 said:
Thank you guys for all your help,

writing √(3-2i) interms of u+vi, we get

(1.81-0.55i), which I had previously rounded up into (2-0.5i)

Hence after applying the conditions, the general solution is

it is the solution which corresponds to the initial conditions.

gnrlies00 said:
f(x)=e-(1.81-0.55i)x
which is approximately
f(x)≈e-(2-0.5i)x
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(x)≈e-2xe(0.5i)x
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(x)≈e-2x (cos(0.5)x+isin(0.5)x)

Hence,
f(∏)≈e-2∏(-1+0)
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(∏)≈ -e-2∏

cos(0.5∏)=0 and sin(0.5∏)=1, so your f(∏)≈-e-2∏ is not correct.

ehild

ehild said:
cos(0.5∏)=0 and sin(0.5∏)=1, so your f(∏)≈-e-2∏ is not correct.

ehild

oops,
f(∏)≈e-2∏ (0+i) ≈ ie-2∏

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates one or more functions with their derivatives. It describes how a function changes over time or space.

2. What is the order of this differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is the highest derivative present in the equation. In this case, it is a second-order differential equation because the highest derivative is d^2f/dx^2.

3. How do you solve this differential equation?

To solve this differential equation, you can use a variety of methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or using a substitution. However, the exact method will depend on the specific form of the equation and its initial/boundary conditions.

4. What does the term (3-2i) represent in this equation?

The term (3-2i) is a complex number, where 3 is the real part and -2i is the imaginary part. In this differential equation, it represents a constant coefficient that affects the behavior of the function f.

5. What is the significance of this differential equation in science?

Differential equations are an essential tool in modeling and analyzing various physical and natural phenomena. This specific differential equation, d^2f/dx^2-(3-2i)f=0, is commonly used in the study of oscillations and vibrations in mechanical and electrical systems.