1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation problem with Matlab

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1
    1. Solve the differential equation

y=10, dy/dx=0 when x=0
    z=15, dz/dx=0 when x=0

d2y/dx2 = - 2y/3 + (z – y)/3
    d2z/dx2 = -(z – y)

plot y,z,dydx,dzdx doe x=0->10

2. Relevant equations

I am having trouble getting my head around the problem.
    I need help setting a variable for dy/dx and dz/dx in my function for ODE45 to find the value.

3. The attempt at a solution

So after setting up my script as such
    [y z] = ode45('fun',[0 10], vekt);

vekt being the vector for all values at x=0

I need to set up my function so ODE has something to work with.
    I know what to do when I have d/dx in the equation since you can set dy/dx = z and then d2y/dx2 = y'. But now I have a value for dydx at x=0 but I don't have that in the equation.

So I'm at a loss.
    Anyone can give me any pointers?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2011 #2
  4. Nov 2, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the heads up, but the main problems for me is to understand what I should do with dydx and dzdx that can't be found in the equation but have a value at x=0

5. Nov 2, 2011 #4
    Do I have to find the antiderivitive for d2y/dx2 in order to get dy/dx and then solve it?

Or is there some kind of trick into getting dy/dx in the equation?

6. Nov 2, 2011 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember that numerical solvers for ODEs work on solving first order ODEs only. How would you transform the second equation to give you first order ODEs only?

7. Nov 2, 2011 #6
    d2z/dx2 = -(z – y)

z''=-(z-y)

q=[y';y'']

y(1)=z''
    y(2)=z'

Can I do something like that so I have ekv=y(2); -(z-y) for the second equation?

I'm out in very deep water, I would kinda know what to do if I saw dy/dx in the equations, but now I don't so I'm pretty much guessing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook