• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Differential Equation: Separation of Variables

• Thread starter brikayyy
  • Start date

Homework Statement

dL/dp = L/2, L(0) = 100. Find the solution to the differential equation, subject to the given initial condition. My textbook says the answer is L = 100ep/2, but I don't know how to get that answer (or e for that matter).

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

dL/dp = L/2
L dL/dp = 1/2
∫LdL = ∫(1/2)dp
L2/2 = x/2 + C
L2 = x + 2C
(0)2 = 100 + 2C

Thanks for any help ahead of time!

Answers and Replies

I found two mistakes in your procedure. In the second step of your solution, the L on the left side should divide dL.

Then, the way to apply the initial condition is to make x=0, L=100, and solve for C. You did x=100 and L=0. D:

I found two mistakes in your procedure. In the second step of your solution, the L on the left side should divide dL.

Then, the way to apply the initial condition is to make x=0, L=100, and solve for C. You did x=100 and L=0. D:
Oh, man. D: Thanks for pointing that out!

Now that I think about it, it looks like I'm supposed to use dy/dx = ky instead of what I did in my attempt?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Now that I think about it, it looks like I'm supposed to use dy/dx = ky instead of what I did in my attempt?
You don't need a formula, you can derive the result by separation of variables. But as ymlc pointed out you are making a mistake. You should have dL/L=(1/2)dp after separating. NOT LdL=(1/2)dp. Work from there.

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
That equation can be solved either by separation of variables or using linear equation theory and multiplying by an integrating factor. Or, for that matter, as a constant coefficient DE if you have had that method.