1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation: Separation of Variables

1. Sep 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    dL/dp = L/2, L(0) = 100. Find the solution to the differential equation, subject to the given initial condition. My textbook says the answer is L = 100ep/2, but I don't know how to get that answer (or e for that matter).

2. Relevant equations
    ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    dL/dp = L/2
    L dL/dp = 1/2
    ∫LdL = ∫(1/2)dp
    L2/2 = x/2 + C
    L2 = x + 2C
    (0)2 = 100 + 2C

Thanks for any help ahead of time!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2013 #2
    I found two mistakes in your procedure. In the second step of your solution, the L on the left side should divide dL.

Then, the way to apply the initial condition is to make x=0, L=100, and solve for C. You did x=100 and L=0. D:

4. Sep 4, 2013 #3
    Oh, man. D: Thanks for pointing that out!

5. Sep 4, 2013 #4
    Now that I think about it, it looks like I'm supposed to use dy/dx = ky instead of what I did in my attempt?

6. Sep 4, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need a formula, you can derive the result by separation of variables. But as ymlc pointed out you are making a mistake. You should have dL/L=(1/2)dp after separating. NOT LdL=(1/2)dp. Work from there.

7. Sep 4, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That equation can be solved either by separation of variables or using linear equation theory and multiplying by an integrating factor. Or, for that matter, as a constant coefficient DE if you have had that method.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted