Differential Equation, Solve for function

In summary, a differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives, and is used to model real-world phenomena. To solve a differential equation, different techniques such as separation of variables and substitution can be used, along with checking for initial or boundary conditions. The purpose of solving a differential equation is to find the function that satisfies the equation and understand the behavior of the system being modeled. Differential equations have various applications in science, engineering, and economics, but they also have limitations such as not all equations having analytical solutions and complex systems requiring a system of equations to fully model.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Given

[itex]\frac{dx}{dt} + ax = Asin(ωt), x(0) = b[/itex]

Solve for [itex]x(t)[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I take the Laplace transform of both sides and get

[itex]sX(s) - x(0) + aX(s) = \frac{Aω}{s^{2} + ω^{2}}[/itex]
[itex]X(s) = \frac{b}{s + a} + \frac{Aω}{(s^{2} + ω^{2})(s+1)}[/itex]

The solution then state that the expression above is equal to

[itex](b + \frac{ωA}{a^{2}+ω^{2}})\frac{1}{s + a} + \frac{aA}{a^{2} + ω^{2}}\frac{ω}{s^{2} + ω^{2}} - \frac{ωA}{a^{2} + ω^{2}}\frac{s}{s^{2} + ω^{2}}[/itex]

I don't know how the two expressions are equal to each other or were [itex]\frac{aA}{a^{2} + ω^{2}}\frac{ω}{s^{2} + ω^{2}} - \frac{ωA}{a^{2} + ω^{2}}\frac{s}{s^{2} + ω^{2}}[/itex] came from. I believe that [itex]\frac{b}{s + a} + \frac{Aω}{(s^{2} + ω^{2})(s+a)} = (b + \frac{ωA}{a^{2}+ω^{2}})\frac{1}{s + a}[/itex] as it's just factoring. So then if this is true than [itex]\frac{aA}{a^{2} + ω^{2}}\frac{ω}{s^{2} + ω^{2}} = \frac{ωA}{a^{2} + ω^{2}}\frac{s}{s^{2} + ω^{2}}[/itex], which I don't see how that's true.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
GreenPrint said:

Homework Statement

Given

[itex]\frac{dx}{dt} + ax = Asin(ωt), x(0) = b[/itex]

Solve for [itex]x(t)[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I take the Laplace transform of both sides and get

[itex]sX(s) - x(0) + aX(s) = \frac{Aω}{s^{2} + ω^{2}}[/itex]
[itex]X(s) = \frac{b}{s + a} + \frac{Aω}{(s^{2} + ω^{2})\color{red}{(s+a)}}[/itex]

The solution then state that the expression above is equal to...

I think you meant ##s+a## where I have corrected in red. I didn't bother to work through your next calculations. This is going to be messy even without any mistakes. What the author surely did was use the standard procedure of partial fractions to break up that last fraction:$$
\frac{Aω}{(s^2 + ω^2)(s+a)}= \frac C {s+a} + \frac{Ds+E}{s^2+\omega^2}$$Use your calculus partial fraction methods to solve for ##C,D,E##. They will be a bit messy and if neither you nor the author made any mistakes it should work. That last fraction is easy enough to take the inverse transform. I would inverse just as it stands first, then substitute the values for ##C,D##, and ##E## in your answer.

I should comment that LaPlace transforms is an terrible way to work this problem. I'm assuming you were asked to do it that way or I would have a rather different hint.

Last edited:
How would you recommend solving this problem then, if there's a much easier way to solve this than I would like to know how that can be done. Resolving that into partial fractions is very difficult to do.

Another way of inverting the second term is to use convolution, especially with the s+a term there in the denominator.

GreenPrint said:
How would you recommend solving this problem then, if there's a much easier way to solve this than I would like to know how that can be done. Resolving that into partial fractions is very difficult to do.

The method of undertermined coefficients suggests a solution of the form
[tex]
x(t) = Be^{-at} + C\cos \omega t + D \sin \omega t
[/tex]
for some constants [itex]B[/itex], [itex]C[/itex] and [itex]D[/itex].

GreenPrint said:

It's a constant coefficient equation. I would have recommended the same as pasmith did above.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many real-world phenomena, such as growth and decay, motion, and fluid dynamics.

2. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors. It is also important to check for initial or boundary conditions to determine the specific solution.

3. What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

The purpose of solving a differential equation is to find the function that satisfies the equation, as well as any given initial or boundary conditions. This allows us to understand and predict the behavior of the system being modeled.

4. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in science, engineering, and economics. They are used to model physical systems such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also used in fields such as economics for modeling market trends and forecasting.

5. What are the limitations of solving differential equations?

One limitation of solving differential equations is that not all equations have analytical solutions, meaning they cannot be solved algebraically. In these cases, numerical methods must be used, which may introduce some errors. Additionally, complex systems may require a system of differential equations to fully model, making it more difficult to find a solution.