Laplace transform of sin(ωt)/[1+cos^2(ωt)]

In summary, the Laplace transform of the given function can be represented as a complex integral involving the LerchPhi function, which can be evaluated numerically using software such as Maple. Alternatively, a pure numerical approach can be used by evaluating a simple integral over a finite interval using numerical integration schemes.
lightarrow

Homework Statement

L{sin(ωt)/[1+cos^2(ωt)]} =

Homework Equations

d {arctan[cos(ωt)]} /dt =
- ω•sin(ωt)/[1+cos^2(ωt)]

The Attempt at a Solution

∫e^(-st)•[sin(ωt)/(1+cos²(ωt)] dt =

-(1/ω)•∫e^(-st)•{arctan[cos(ωt)]}' dt =

= (integrating by parts and taking Re(s) > 0) =

= π/(4ω) -(s/ω)•∫ e^(-st)•arctan[cos(ωt)]

= π/(4ω) -(s/ω)•L{arctan[cos( ωt)]}.

But at this point I don't know how to compute the last laplace transform.
So I don't know if this is the best way or even if my question has a (simple) solution at all.

--
lightarrow

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lightarrow said:

Homework Statement

L{sin(ωt)/[1+cos^2(ωt)]} =

Homework Equations

d {arctan[cos(ωt)]} /dt =
- ω•sin(ωt)/[1+cos^2(ωt)]

The Attempt at a Solution

∫e^(-st)•[sin(ωt)/(1+cos²(ωt)] dt =

-(1/ω)•∫e^(-st)•{arctan[cos(ωt)]}' dt =

= (integrating by parts and taking Re(s) > 0) =

= π/(4ω) -(s/ω)•∫ e^(-st)•arctan[cos(ωt)]

= π/(4ω) -(s/ω)•L{arctan[cos( ωt)]}.

But at this point I don't know how to compute the last laplace transform.
So I don't know if this is the best way or even if my question has a (simple) solution at all.

--
lightarrow

The problem has a solution in terms of the non-elementary "LerchPhi" functions, but it is nasty. Here is how it goes:

Using the identity ##\cos^2 u = (1/2) ( \cos 2u + 1),## we have
$$f(t) = \frac{1}{1 + \cos^2 (\omega t)} = \frac{2}{3 + \cos(2 \omega t)}.$$ Let ##L_0(S) = \int_0^\infty e^{-S t} f(t)\, dt,## and use
$$\sin(\omega t) = \frac{1}{2i} \left( e^{i \omega t} - e^{-i \omega t} \right),$$
so $$e^{-st} \sin(\omega t) = \frac{1}{2i} \left( e^{-(s-i \omega) t} - e^{-(s + i \omega )t} \right). $$
Therefore, your desired Laplace transform ##L(s)## is given by
$$L(s) = \frac{1}{2i} \left( L_0(s+i \omega) - L_0(s + i \omega) \right).$$ If you have access to software that can compute the LerchPhi function at complex arguments, then you can evaluate the formula for ##L(s)## at various numerical values of ##s##. The details are given in the attachment, which shows the output from a Maple session.

Note added in edit: if you have access to Maple, you can evaluate and/or plot ##L(s)##, because Maple has built-in routines for all the functions it employs. Despite the complex-looking nature of the answer, ##L(s)## comes out as real for real ##\omega## and ##s > 0.## (In Maple, ##I## is the reserved symbol for ##i = \sqrt{-1}.##) I suppose you can do similar things in Mathematica, but I do not have access to it.

If you do not have access to Maple but still want to evaluate ##L(s)## for various ##s## but fixed ##\omega## you could avoid all the LerchPhi business and proceed instead to a pure numerical approach. All you need do is evaluate a fairly simple integral over a fixed, finite interval. The point is that
$$g(t) = \frac{\sin(\omega t)}{1 + \cos^2 (\omega t)} $$ is periodic, with half-period ##\tau = \pi/ \omega##, and alternates in sign as we traverse various ##\tau##-intervals. That is:
$$g(t + \tau ) = - g(t), \:g(t + 2 \tau) = g(t), \: g(t + 3 \tau) = - g(t), \ldots.$$ This means that if we set
$$F(s) = \int_0^{\tau} e^{-st} g(t) \, dt$$ then we have
$$L(s) = F(s) \left[ 1 - e^{-s \tau} + e^{- 2 s \tau } - e^{-3 s \tau} + \cdots \right] = \frac{F(s)}{1 + e^{s \tau}}. $$
Since ##F(s)## is given by an integral over a finite interval, when ##\omega## is specified we can easily evaluate ##F(s)## numerically using one of the many, well-studied numerical integration schemes.

Attachments

• LT_Feb2019_pdf.pdf
    76.9 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Likes lightarrow
Ray Vickson said:
The problem has a solution in terms of the non-elementary "LerchPhi" functions, but it is nasty. Here is how it goes:

Using the identity ##\cos^2 u = (1/2) ( \cos 2u + 1),## we have
$$f(t) = \frac{1}{1 + \cos^2 (\omega t)} = \frac{2}{3 + \cos(2 \omega t)}.$$ Let ##L_0(S) = \int_0^\infty e^{-S t} f(t)\, dt,## and use
$$\sin(\omega t) = \frac{1}{2i} \left( e^{i \omega t} - e^{-i \omega t} \right),$$
so $$e^{-st} \sin(\omega t) = \frac{1}{2i} \left( e^{-(s-i \omega) t} - e^{-(s + i \omega )t} \right). $$
Therefore, your desired Laplace transform ##L(s)## is given by
$$L(s) = \frac{1}{2i} \left( L_0(s+i \omega) - L_0(s + i \omega) \right).$$
Obviously the first term at right of the last equation should have been
$$L_0(s-i \omega)$$
but it was clear.
If you have access to software that can compute the LerchPhi function at complex arguments, then you can evaluate the formula for ##L(s)## at various numerical values of ##s##. The details are given in the attachment, which shows the output from a Maple session.

Note added in edit: if you have access to Maple, you can evaluate and/or plot ##L(s)##, because Maple has built-in routines for all the functions it employs. Despite the complex-looking nature of the answer, ##L(s)## comes out as real for real ##\omega## and ##s > 0.## (In Maple, ##I## is the reserved symbol for ##i = \sqrt{-1}.##) I suppose you can do similar things in Mathematica, but I do not have access to it.

If you do not have access to Maple but still want to evaluate ##L(s)## for various ##s## but fixed ##\omega## you could avoid all the LerchPhi business and proceed instead to a pure numerical approach. All you need do is evaluate a fairly simple integral over a fixed, finite interval. The point is that
$$g(t) = \frac{\sin(\omega t)}{1 + \cos^2 (\omega t)} $$ is periodic, with half-period ##\tau = \pi/ \omega##, and alternates in sign as we traverse various ##\tau##-intervals. That is:
$$g(t + \tau ) = - g(t), \:g(t + 2 \tau) = g(t), \: g(t + 3 \tau) = - g(t), \ldots.$$ This means that if we set
$$F(s) = \int_0^{\tau} e^{-st} g(t) \, dt$$ then we have
$$L(s) = F(s) \left[ 1 - e^{-s \tau} + e^{- 2 s \tau } - e^{-3 s \tau} + \cdots \right] = \frac{F(s)}{1 + e^{s \tau}}. $$
Since ##F(s)## is given by an integral over a finite interval, when ##\omega## is specified we can easily evaluate ##F(s)## numerically using one of the many, well-studied numerical integration schemes.
Thank you very much Ray!

--
lightarrow

What is the Laplace transform of sin(ωt)/[1+cos^2(ωt)]?

The Laplace transform of sin(ωt)/[1+cos^2(ωt)] is equal to (s^2 + ω^2) / (s^3 + sω^2 + ω^2).

How is the Laplace transform of sin(ωt)/[1+cos^2(ωt)] derived?

The Laplace transform of sin(ωt)/[1+cos^2(ωt)] is derived using the definition of the Laplace transform and the trigonometric identity cos^2(ωt) = 1/2 + 1/2cos(2ωt). The integral is then solved using partial fractions and the inverse Laplace transform is taken to obtain the final result.

What is the region of convergence for the Laplace transform of sin(ωt)/[1+cos^2(ωt)]?

The region of convergence for the Laplace transform of sin(ωt)/[1+cos^2(ωt)] is the entire complex plane except for the poles at s = ±iω.

What are the poles of the Laplace transform of sin(ωt)/[1+cos^2(ωt)]?

The poles of the Laplace transform of sin(ωt)/[1+cos^2(ωt)] are at s = ±iω, which corresponds to the frequencies ω and -ω in the time domain.

What is the inverse Laplace transform of the Laplace transform of sin(ωt)/[1+cos^2(ωt)]?

The inverse Laplace transform of the Laplace transform of sin(ωt)/[1+cos^2(ωt)] is equal to sin(ωt)/[1+cos^2(ωt)], which can be verified by taking the Laplace transform of this function and comparing it to the original expression.