Differential Equation Where Y Turns Out to Equal X?

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation and attempts to solve it by finding a function that satisfies the given equation. Different strategies are attempted, but it is unclear if any of them are the correct approach. The problem is deemed to be poorly expressed and more context is needed to fully understand the task.
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

[/B]
Suppose that $$xf(x,y)dx+yg(x,y)dy=0$$

Solve: $$f(x,y)dx+g(x,y)dy=0$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm mostly stumbling around in the dark. I tried a few things and got nowhere before heading down this road.

First I solved for ##f(x,y)dx## in the first equation:

##f(x,y)dx=\frac{-yg(x,y)dy}{x}##

I then substituted this into the 2nd:

##\frac{-yg(x,y)dy}{x}+g(x,y)dy=0##

This led to:
##\frac{g(x,y)dy}{g(x,y)dy}=\frac{y}{x}##

##\frac{y}{x}=1##

##y=x##

I'm not sure what to do next or even if I'm going down the right path. I don't really know what this means for the differential equation. Does that turn the entire problem into a function a one variable? If so, does ##dx## turn into ##dy##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
Does that turn the entire problem into a function a one variable?
I would read it that x and y are independent by definition. What other solutions are there?

haruspex said:
I would read it that x and y are independent by definition.

So neither X nor Y is a function of the other?

haruspex said:
What other solutions are there?

I want to say that whenever ##f=-g## but that seems so obviously trivial.

I think the problem may be poorly expressed - ie unnecessarily obscure. The statements 'Suppose that' and the instruction 'Solve' are much too terse and could have multiple meanings.

Perhaps what they were trying to say is as follows:

Given two functions ##f,g:\mathbb R^2\to\mathbb R##, and an unknown function ##H:\mathbb R^2\to\mathbb R## such that
$$\frac{\partial }{\partial x}H(x,y)=x\,f(x,y) \textrm{ and } \frac{\partial }{\partial y}H(x,y)=y\,g(x,y)$$
let ##\mathscr F_1## be the family of level sets of ##H##. These will be curves in the ##x,y## number plane. With this framework we can re-write the first DE in the form of a total derivative as
$$dH = \frac{\partial }{\partial x}H(x,y)\,dx + \frac{\partial }{\partial y}H(x,y)\, dy = 0$$
which is how we see that the solution is a level set of ##H##.

Now consider an unknown function ##K:\mathbb R^2\to\mathbb R## such that
$$\frac{\partial }{\partial x}K(x,y)=\,f(x,y) \textrm{ and } \frac{\partial }{\partial y}K(x,y)=\,g(x,y)$$
and let ##\mathscr F_2## be the family of level sets of ##K##. These too will be curves in the ##x,y## number plane, and the second DE can be re-written as:
$$dK = \frac{\partial }{\partial x}K(x,y)\,dx + \frac{\partial }{\partial y}K(x,y)\, dy = 0$$

Find a curve in ##\mathscr F_1## and a curve in ##\mathscr F_2## that intersect, and give the coordinates of the point(s) of intersection.

Take the simplest case first, of ##f=g=1##. Then, integrating the second DE we see that ##\mathscr F_2## is the family of straight lines with gradient -1, ie with equation ##x+y=C_1##, with parameter ##C_1## indexing the family.

Integrating the first DE we see that ##\mathscr F_1## is the family of circles with equations ##x^2+y^2=C_2##, for ##C_2\geq 0##, with parameter ##C_2## indexing the family.

We can choose one curve from each family, eg ##y=-x## and ##x^2+y^2=1## and get the two solution points ##\pm \left(\frac1{\sqrt 2},\frac1{\sqrt 2}\right)##. But choosing different pairs of curves will give different solutions.

Different choices of ##f## and ##g## will give different sets of possible solutions. Some choices will have no solutions.

Given the multiple possible solutions, maybe that's not what they meant, but I can't see any other natural, theoretically sound interpretation of what they've written.

Is there any more context from the source that may help make sense of their cryptic, oracular signals?

andrewkirk said:
Is there any more context from the source that may help make sense of their cryptic, oracular signals?

None whatsoever. That is literally the entirety of the problem.

I guess I'll have to ask my professor on Monday. Thanks guys.

Drakkith said:
I want to say that whenever f=-g but that seems so obviously trivial.
Using that would still give x=y.
I was thinking of f=g=0. Maybe Andrew is onto something, but it seems to me he still ends up with x=y.

1. What is a differential equation where Y equals X?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. In this specific case, Y is the dependent variable, while X is the independent variable. The equation expresses the relationship between Y and X in terms of their derivatives.

2. What is the purpose of solving a differential equation where Y equals X?

Solving a differential equation where Y equals X can help us find the relationship between two variables in a system, understand their behavior, and predict future values. It is also used to model various real-life phenomena, such as population growth or the spread of diseases.

3. How do you solve a differential equation where Y equals X?

The process of solving a differential equation where Y equals X involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done through analytical methods, such as separation of variables or substitution, or through numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods.

4. What are the applications of a differential equation where Y equals X?

Differential equations where Y equals X have various applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. They are used to model and understand complex systems and make predictions about their behavior. They are also used in the development of technologies, such as control systems and signal processing.

5. Are there any real-life examples of a differential equation where Y equals X?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of differential equations where Y equals X. Some examples include the growth of a population, the cooling of a cup of coffee, the spread of a disease in a population, and the movement of a pendulum. These equations help us understand and predict the behavior of these systems.