1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equations - 2nd order euler eq'n

1. Mar 23, 2007 #1
    (a) Let alpha (a) and beta (b) be given constant. show that t^r is a solution of the Euler equation
    t^2 d^2y/dt^2 + at dy/dt + by = 0 , t>0
    if r^2 + (a-1)r + b = 0

(b) suppose that (a-t)^2 = 4b. Show that (ln t)t^(1-a)/2 is a second solution of Euler's equation.

please help, i have no idea how to start this.
    for (a) it says, shown that t^r is a solution, so can i just substitute in ?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2007 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Indeed! If y=f(t) is a solution, then it satisfies the differential equation.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  4. Mar 23, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that's how you show that anything is a solution to any equation!

However, "suppose that (a-t)^2= 4b doesn't make sense- a and b are constants while t is a variable. Surely you mean "suppose that (a-1)^2= 4b", in which case the "characteristic equation" r2+ (a-1)r+ b= 0 has (1-a)/2 as a double root. Again, just let y= (ln t)t(1-a)/2 and show that that satisfies the equation in the special case (1-a)2= 4b.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  5. Mar 23, 2007 #4
    Am I doing something wrong.
    I substituted y(t) = t^r in , and end up getting r^2 + (a-1)r + b = 0

here is my work:

y(t)=t^r
    y'(t) = rt^(r-1)
    y'(t) = r(r-1)t^(r-2)

t^2(r)(r-1)t^(r-2) + atrt^(r-1) + bt^r = 0
    r(r-1)t^r + art^r + bt^r = 0
    r(r-1) + ar + b = 0
    r^2 - r + ar + b = 0
    r^2 + (a-1)r + b = 0

i have no idea what to do now

6. Mar 24, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It might help to go back and read the question again! It said: ". show that t^r is a solution of the Euler equation
    t^2 d^2y/dt^2 + at dy/dt + by = 0 , t>0
    if r^2 + (a-1)r + b = 0"
    Isn't that exactly what you just did? Replacing y by rt satisfies the equation (makes it equal to 0) if and only if your last equation r2+ (a-1)r+ b= 0.

Now do the same for tr2, remembering that you now have the additional requirement that "(a-1)2= 4b" (NOT (a-t)2!).

7. Mar 24, 2007 #6
    ohh, wow i totally forgot about the if r^2+(a-1)r + b=0 part, thanks.
    but for (b), why "do the same for tr^2", why am i not subbing in the (ln t)t^1-a/2

8. Mar 25, 2007 #7
    can anyone help with this?
    i have tried subbing in (ln t)t^1-a/2 but i do not get 0, so i know i am doing somethi gnwrong and it's not my work that's wrong as i've done it twice with the same answer. it keeps coming out to a^2 - 3 = 0

9. Mar 25, 2007 #8
    yo

braindead, do u by chance to queen's

10. Mar 26, 2007 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Please, read the question again! You did say that a second part of the problem was to show that (ln t)t^(1-a/2) was a solution if (a-1)2= 4b (at least I think that is your equation. I asked if you had a typo and you never answered my question).

Good. You now recognize that you must substitute x= (ln t)t^(1-a/2) (those parentheses are necessary: t^1- a/2 is t- a/2.) using the condition that (a-1)2= 4b. I don't see how we can tell what you did wrong if you don't show exactly what you did. What are x' and x"? What equation did you get?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?