Differential equations - 2nd order euler eq'n

What did you do with that equation? I can't just guess what you did wrong!yobraindead, do u by chance to queen's I'm sorry, I do not understand what you are asking. "Do you by chance to queen's?" makes no sense to me.
braindead101
(a) Let alpha (a) and beta (b) be given constant. show that t^r is a solution of the Euler equation
t^2 d^2y/dt^2 + at dy/dt + by = 0 , t>0
if r^2 + (a-1)r + b = 0

(b) suppose that (a-t)^2 = 4b. Show that (ln t)t^(1-a)/2 is a second solution of Euler's equation.

please help, i have no idea how to start this.
for (a) it says, shown that t^r is a solution, so can i just substitute in ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
braindead101 said:

Indeed! If y=f(t) is a solution, then it satisfies the differential equation.

Last edited:
braindead101 said:
(a) Let alpha (a) and beta (b) be given constant. show that t^r is a solution of the Euler equation
if r^2 + (a-1)r + b = 0

(b) suppose that (a-t)^2 = 4b. Show that (ln t)t^(1-a)/2 is a second solution of Euler's equation.

Yes, that's how you show that anything is a solution to any equation!

However, "suppose that (a-t)^2= 4b doesn't make sense- a and b are constants while t is a variable. Surely you mean "suppose that (a-1)^2= 4b", in which case the "characteristic equation" r2+ (a-1)r+ b= 0 has (1-a)/2 as a double root. Again, just let y= (ln t)t(1-a)/2 and show that that satisfies the equation in the special case (1-a)2= 4b.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I doing something wrong.
I substituted y(t) = t^r in , and end up getting r^2 + (a-1)r + b = 0

here is my work:

y(t)=t^r
y'(t) = rt^(r-1)
y'(t) = r(r-1)t^(r-2)

t^2(r)(r-1)t^(r-2) + atrt^(r-1) + bt^r = 0
r(r-1)t^r + art^r + bt^r = 0
r(r-1) + ar + b = 0
r^2 - r + ar + b = 0
r^2 + (a-1)r + b = 0

i have no idea what to do now

It might help to go back and read the question again! It said: ". show that t^r is a solution of the Euler equation
if r^2 + (a-1)r + b = 0"
Isn't that exactly what you just did? Replacing y by rt satisfies the equation (makes it equal to 0) if and only if your last equation r2+ (a-1)r+ b= 0.

Now do the same for tr2, remembering that you now have the additional requirement that "(a-1)2= 4b" (NOT (a-t)2!).

ohh, wow i totally forgot about the if r^2+(a-1)r + b=0 part, thanks.
but for (b), why "do the same for tr^2", why am i not subbing in the (ln t)t^1-a/2

can anyone help with this?
i have tried subbing in (ln t)t^1-a/2 but i do not get 0, so i know i am doing somethi gnwrong and it's not my work that's wrong as I've done it twice with the same answer. it keeps coming out to a^2 - 3 = 0

yo

braindead, do u by chance to queen's

braindead101 said:
ohh, wow i totally forgot about the if r^2+(a-1)r + b=0 part, thanks.
but for (b), why "do the same for tr^2", why am i not subbing in the (ln t)t^1-a/2
Please, read the question again! You did say that a second part of the problem was to show that (ln t)t^(1-a/2) was a solution if (a-1)2= 4b (at least I think that is your equation. I asked if you had a typo and you never answered my question).

braindead101 said:
can anyone help with this?
i have tried subbing in (ln t)t^1-a/2 but i do not get 0, so i know i am doing somethi gnwrong and it's not my work that's wrong as I've done it twice with the same answer. it keeps coming out to a^2 - 3 = 0
Good. You now recognize that you must substitute x= (ln t)t^(1-a/2) (those parentheses are necessary: t^1- a/2 is t- a/2.) using the condition that (a-1)2= 4b. I don't see how we can tell what you did wrong if you don't show exactly what you did. What are x' and x"? What equation did you get?

1. What is a second order Euler equation?

A second order Euler equation is a type of differential equation that involves a second derivative of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable. It is represented as y''(x) = f(x,y,y'), where y' is the first derivative of y and f(x,y,y') is a function of x, y, and y'.

2. How is a second order Euler equation solved?

A second order Euler equation can be solved using a variety of methods such as separation of variables, variation of parameters, and power series solutions. The specific method used depends on the form of the equation and the initial conditions given.

3. What is the significance of a second order Euler equation in science?

Second order Euler equations are commonly used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model a wide range of phenomena, such as motion, heat transfer, and population growth.

4. Can a second order Euler equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a second order Euler equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the equation is a type of differential equation, and differential equations often have infinite solutions. However, the specific solution that is relevant to a particular problem can be determined by applying appropriate initial or boundary conditions.

5. Are there any real-life applications of second order Euler equations?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of second order Euler equations. For example, they are used to model the motion of objects under the influence of gravity, the transfer of heat in a material, and the behavior of electrical circuits. They are also used in economics to model population growth and in engineering to design structures that can withstand external forces.