Differential Equations (Anti Derivative)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the solution (anti derivative) of y'= 1/(3y^2). The person initially tried bringing up the y^2 to the top but was advised to bring it to the left of the equal sign. The solution is the cube root of x + c, where c is a constant, and it is obtained by treating the equation as a separable differential equation and integrating both sides.
camboguy
ok I am haveing trouble with this

Find The solution (anti derivative) of y'= 1/(3y^2)

i tired bringing up the y^2 to the top and making it (y^-2)/3 then i did the dy/dx thing and tired to move the x's and y's to one side but then i still don't get the answer. i think that i am doing something wrong in my first step. do i bring the y^2 up to y^-2?? if its wrong could you tell me what i am doing wonge. the answer is so posed to be the cube root of x + c; where c is a constant; it comes with one of the rules.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't bring it to the top, bring it to the left. (The left of the equal sign, that is.)

DH is saying it's a separable differential equation. dy/dx=1/(3*y^2) so 3*y^2*dy=dx. Now integrate both sides.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates a function to one or more of its derivatives. It is used to model many physical phenomena and is an important tool in mathematics and science.

2. What is an anti-derivative?

An anti-derivative is the inverse operation of a derivative. It is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original function. In other words, it is the function that "undoes" the process of differentiation.

3. How do you solve a differential equation using anti-derivatives?

To solve a differential equation using anti-derivatives, you need to first find the anti-derivative of the given function. Then, you can use the initial conditions or boundary conditions to determine the specific solution of the equation.

4. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is the general form of an anti-derivative, while a definite integral is the specific value obtained by evaluating the anti-derivative at two given points. In other words, a definite integral has limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not.

5. What are some real-life applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also used in engineering, economics, and other fields to analyze and solve complex problems.