1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equations: Elimination of arbitrary constants

1. Jun 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the differential equation of ln y = ax^2 + bx + c by eliminating the arbitrary constants a, b and c.

2. Relevant equations

Wrosnkian determinant.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've solved a similar problem (y=ax^2+bx+c --> y'''=0), but couldn't do the same with this one.
    All what I could is taking the exponent of both sides --> y=e^(ax^2 + bx + c).

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2014 #2
    I do not see a DE...

4. Jun 23, 2014 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think this is the calc form of Jeopardy ... you are given the solution to a DE, and you have to find the DE.

Taking the exponential of both sides looks promising - you can use you knowledge of how powers combine to simplify it further or investigate what happens as you differentiate it.

note. y=e^x comes from y'=y

5. Jun 23, 2014 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

Does it not follow from [itex]\ln y = ax^2 + bx + c[/itex] and [tex]
    \frac{d^3}{dx^3}(ax^2 + bx + c) = 0[/tex] that [tex]
    \frac{d^3}{dx^3}(\ln y) = 0?[/tex] Some would regard that as an adequate ODE for [itex]y[/itex]; others might insist that you expand the left hand side and re-arrange the result into the form [tex]
    y''' = F(y, y', y'').
    [/tex]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  6. Jun 24, 2014 #5
    I'm using a method in which I differentiate depending on the number of constants. So, in this case I shall differentiate three times.

[itex]y=e^{ax^{2}+bx+c}[/itex]
    [itex]y'=e^{ax^{2}+bx+c} (2ax+b)[/itex]
    [itex]y''=e^{ax^{2}+bx+c} (2ax^{2}+4axb+b^{2}+2a)[/itex]
    [itex]y'''=e^{ax^{2}+bx+c} (4a^{2}x^{3}+8^{2}x^{2}b+2axb^{2}+4a^{2}x+2ax^{2}b+4axb^{2}+b^{3}+2ab)[/itex]

And then I shall put the coefficients of a, b and c in Wrosnkian and then find determinant.

[itex]\begin{matrix}
    y & * & * & * \\
    y' & * & * & * \\
    y'' & * & * & *\\
    y''' & * & * & *
    \end{matrix}[/itex]

Where the stars (*) are the coefficients. And that my problem right now, in some terms of y'' and y''' there are a and b together. How can I deal with it?

7. Jun 24, 2014 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First check if the equations are correct.

Note that you do not have a linear system of equations for a,b,c.
    The equations can be divided by y so the exponential factors cancel, and there are three equations to solve.
    [tex]y'/y=2ax+b[/tex]
    [tex]y''/y=4a^2x^{2}+4axb+b^{2}+2a[/tex]

y'''/y=....

Isolate b from the first one, substitute for b into the second one, and isolate a. Substitute a and b in terms of y'/y and y"/y into the third one.

But it is much simpler to follow pasmith's hint.

ehild

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted