Elimination of Arbitrary Constants (Differential Equations)

In summary, the conversation was about eliminating arbitrary constants in a differential equation and the correct solution for this problem is y''' = 0. This can be checked by taking the derivatives of the given equation and seeing that the constants have been eliminated.
Portal.Leaf

Homework Statement

Eliminate the arbitrary constants of the equation:
ax2 + bx + c

Homework Equations

(Concept) According to my instructor, having n arbitrary constants makes an nth-order differential equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to differentiate 'til I get a third derivative so I ended with the final answer y''' = 0. Is my answer correct? If not, I'm willing to learn.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since your post does not contain an equation, and the item you gave does not itself contain any derivatives, what you want isn't clear.

What you are doing is writing a differential equation from a solution, essentially. I take it you mean y = ax² + bx + c.

Your solution, y''' = 0, is correct. Here is how you can check this.

If y''' = 0, then by integration, y'' = a.
Then by integration again y' = ax + b.
Then by integration a third time, y = ax² + bx + c, which is the equation you started with.

Basically, elimination of arbitrary constants is a terrible way to say "find a differential equation for which this is the general solution." Therefore you can check your work by solving your resulting differential equation. If the general solution to your resulting differential equation is the equation you started with in the problem, you got it right.

Likes 1 person
If you are given that [tex]y= ax^2+ bx+ c[/tex], what is y'? What is y''? What is y'''? Do you see that the constants have been eliminated?

Thanks for all your replies. 1MileCrash was right. The answer is indeed y''' = 0. Thanks for helping me check my answer!

1. What are arbitrary constants in a differential equation?

Arbitrary constants are constants that appear in the general solution of a differential equation and represent the unknown values that need to be determined by applying initial or boundary conditions.

2. Why is it important to eliminate arbitrary constants in a differential equation?

Eliminating arbitrary constants allows us to find the particular solution of a differential equation, which is unique and satisfies the given initial or boundary conditions. It also helps us to get a more specific and accurate solution for the problem at hand.

3. How can arbitrary constants be eliminated from a differential equation?

Arbitrary constants can be eliminated by using the given initial or boundary conditions to find specific values for the constants. These values can then be substituted into the general solution, resulting in a particular solution that satisfies the conditions.

4. Can an arbitrary constant be eliminated if there are multiple initial or boundary conditions?

Yes, if there are multiple initial or boundary conditions, each condition can be used to determine a different arbitrary constant. Once all the constants have been determined, they can be substituted into the general solution to obtain a particular solution that satisfies all the conditions.

5. Are there any cases where arbitrary constants cannot be eliminated from a differential equation?

In certain cases, such as when the given initial or boundary conditions are not enough to uniquely determine the values of the constants, it may not be possible to eliminate all the arbitrary constants. This can result in a general solution with remaining unknown constants.