1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations - First Order Systems

1. Jun 27, 2007 #1
    Solve:

dx / dt = 3*x + y

dy / dt = -y

As for solving this, here is what I've got so far:

Since dy/dt is separable, I found that dy / y = -dt, integrated, and solved explicitly for y:

y = Ce^-t

I then plugged Ce^-t for y in the dx / dt portion of the system and found that:

dx/dt - (3*x) = Ce^-t

Then used Integrating Factor method, found u(t) = e^(-3t), multiplied to both sides and integrated and solved explicitly for x.

x = (-1/3)C + Ce^(3t)

For the second portion of the question, it asks to verify that the solution is correct.

To do that, I plugged in the x and y solutions from part 1, as well as took derivatives of x and y and plugged them in as well.

dy / dt = -y, -Ce^-t = -Ce^-t

However, the problem I am having is that when I plug in for the dx / dt equation, I get down to t = ln1 = 0.

I don't understand if this is wrong or what, as the y solution works but the x one doesn't seem to come to any reasonable conclusion.

Any help in understanding these results, or in finding mistakes would be much appreciated.

-twiztidmxcn

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2007 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

so far so good
    I don't get this. I get [itex] x(t) = - \frac{1}{4C} e^{-Ct} [/itex].
    You have done a mistake either in integrating or in solving for x.

4. Jun 27, 2007 #3
    hrm, I've re-done the integration multiple times and keep getting the same thing.

I am integrating this:

(x*e^(-3t))' = C*e^(-4t)

After integrating I get:

x*e^(-3t) = ( -C / [3e^(3t)] ) + C

Divide out the u(t) = e^(-3t) and end up with this:

x = (-C / 3) + C*e^(3t)

I've also done this integration in both Maple and Mathematica and got the same thing as what I got by hand.

So...I'm not sure its the integration or solving for x, I'm baffled.

5. Jun 27, 2007 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, I had made a few mistakes .

I did forget the constant of integration (sorry) and I made typos by putting the C in the denominator instead of the numerator and putting it in the exponential (it's getting too late for me to do simple maths!).
    here is my work

[itex] d/dt(x e^{-3t}) = C e^{-4t} \rightarrow x e^{-3t} = -\frac{C}{4} e^{-4t} + K [/itex]

wher I use K for the constant of integration to distinguish it from C. Solving, we get

[itex] x = -\frac{C}{4} e^{-t} + K e^{3t} [/itex]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  6. Jun 27, 2007 #5

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's your integration of e^(-4t) which is incorrect.
    You may check that my answer satisfies the DE for x(t)

regards

Patrick

7. Jun 27, 2007 #6
    Haha, I just caught my error. Ima give it a whirl now with the CORRECT integral, hehe.

Thank you nrged

*edit* - got it, much thanks to you nrged

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  8. Jun 27, 2007 #7

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:biggrin:Good! And you are welcome. Sorry for my mistakes.

Best luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?