1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Differential Equations initial value problem

1. Sep 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f(t) be the solution to the initial value problem 2t(dy/dt)+y=t^4
    with f(0) = 0
    find f(t).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to do this by separating variables but that hasn't gotten me very far. I don't know if I can do it by doing that thing where you find an integrating factor and like raising e^(some integral)? It didn't really make any sense to me when I tried it, so could someone explain it please? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2010 #2
    Or a cleaver substitution? Something of the form [tex]t^\alpha y[/tex] with some handy value of [tex]\alpha[/tex]? Does not the left hand side of your equation look like a derivative of a something?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  4. Sep 30, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Because it is a linear equation, there is a formula for the "integrating factor". Write it as [itex]dy/dx+ y/2t= (1/2)t^3[/itex].

Now look for u(t) such that [itex]d(uy)/dt= u (dy/dt)+ (du/dt)y= u dy/dt+ (u/2t)y[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook