Differential Equations: Largest rectangle on ty-plane

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the largest open rectangle in the ty-plane that contains the initial value point and satisfies a given theorem. The conversation also includes taking the partial derivative and determining the values of t and y for the largest rectangle.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

Find the largest open rectangle in the ty-plane that contains the initial value point and satisfies the following theorem:

Let R be the open rectangle defined by a<t<b, α<y<β. Let f(t,y) be a function of two variables defined on R where f(t,y) and the partial derivative ∂f/∂y are continuous on R. Suppose (t0, y0) is a point in R. Then there is an open interval t-interval (c,d) contained in (a, b) and containing t0, in which there exists a unique solution of the initial value problem

y'f(t,y), y(t0) = y0

(t-a)(t-3)y'= 1+ sec(y) and y(π)=1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, when I take the partial derivative I get

∂f(t,y)/∂y = [sec(y)tan(y)](t-1)(t-3)/(t-1)(t-3)2

From this I can see that:

t≠1
t≠3

But y is available for all values.

Hence the largest rectangle goes from 1 to 3 on the t axis and from -∞ to +∞ on the y axis. But this doesn't contain the initial value point. Am i missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
But this doesn't contain the initial value point.
In that case, you need a different rectangle.

Northbysouth said:
y'f(t,y), y(t0) = y0
I assume that should read y'=f(t,y)
(t-a)(t-3)y'= 1+ sec(y) and y(π)=1
Later you have t-1, not t-a. Which is it?
∂f(t,y)/∂y = [sec(y)tan(y)](t-1)(t-3)/(t-1)(t-3)2
Why not just sec(y)tan(y)/((t-1)(t-3))?
From this I can see that:
t≠1
t≠3
Hence the largest rectangle goes from 1 to 3 on the t axis
Think outside the box :wink:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates one or more functions and their derivatives. It describes the relationship between the rate of change of a quantity and the quantity itself.

2. What is the largest rectangle on the xy-plane?

The largest rectangle on the xy-plane is a square with side lengths equal to the length of the x and y axes. This rectangle has the maximum area of any rectangle that can be drawn on the xy-plane.

3. How can differential equations be used to find the largest rectangle on the xy-plane?

Differential equations can be used to find the largest rectangle on the xy-plane by setting up a system of equations that represents the dimensions of the rectangle. By taking the derivative of the area function and setting it equal to 0, the maximum area can be found.

4. What are some real-life applications of differential equations in finding the largest rectangle on the xy-plane?

Differential equations can be used in engineering, physics, and other fields to optimize the use of space. For example, in architecture, differential equations can be used to find the most efficient dimensions for a building's floor plan to maximize usable space.

5. Are there any limitations to using differential equations to find the largest rectangle on the xy-plane?

Yes, there are limitations to using differential equations in this context. The equations can only give an approximate solution and cannot account for complex shapes or irregular boundaries. Additionally, the equations may not be applicable in certain scenarios where there are other constraints or factors at play.