1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equations, orthogonal trajectories

1. May 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    you are given a family of curves, in this case i was given a bunch of circles x^2+y^2=cx, sketch these curves for c=0,2,4,6, both positive and negative, solve the equation for c and differentiate both sides with respect to x and solve for dy/dx. You obtain an ODE in the form of dy/dx=f(x,y), now any orthogonal or perpendicular trajectory must be perpendicular at any point, so we're looking for curves satisfying dy/dx=-1/f(x,y) (negative reciprocal slope). Find an implicit solution to this ODE, and sketch these

2. Relevant equations
    x^2+y^2=cx

3. The attempt at a solution
    I plotted all the circles, the first one c=0 is a point, and the rest are circles on the left and right sides of the origin, each new circle's radius moves outwards by 1. This was easy part, and solving for c i got c=(x^2+y^2)/x, i split this up into c=x+y^2/x and differentiated to get 0=1-(y^2/x^2)(dy/dx) so that means dy/dx=x^2/y^2. I took the reciprocal so the new ODE becomes dy/dx=-y^2/x^2, but the problem is that when i solve this ODE i get y=Ce^(1/x) and when i plot this for random C values none of these are perpendicular to my circles! I would like to know where my mistake is, did I differentiate in the first step correctly? Where did I go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2015 #2
    This is the equation if a circle x^2 + y^2 = K,
    So what you hav above is a circle just rearrange to check .
    Differentiation gives 2*x + 2*y*y' = c
    Solve for dy/dx = (c-2x)/(2*y)
    What you need is dy/dx = -(2*y)/(c-2x)
    This is a seperable 1 ODE that can be solve by re-arranging to
    (1/2*y)dy = dx/(c-2x)
    And it's up to you ;) Good luck

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  4. May 12, 2015 #3
    okay i am going to use your work and solve and see if it is perpendicular thanks, but i plotted the original solutions and they came out as circles,i rewrote them as (x-c/2)^2+y^2=(c/2)^2, i will check

5. May 13, 2015 #4
    i guess its the same if you differentiate it without solving for c first

6. May 13, 2015 #5
    I diff the whole equation without re-arrangement, didn't got rid of anything, they are indeed circles,if you take a look, everything is Okay cuz (x^2)' = 2x , (cx)' = c , (y^2)' = 2yy'

7. May 13, 2015 #6
    Yes I understood it, i have now obtained -ln(y)/2 + C = -ln(c-2x)/2 + C i think to plot I have to choose the parameter C, thanks

8. May 13, 2015 #7
    Unless they cancel out, but i dont think they would have the same value because they are different constants

9. May 13, 2015 #8
    wait nvm i got it, but just to make sure can i just get rid of the big constant C's and then all is left is ln(y)=ln(c-2x)

10. May 13, 2015 #9
    Ln(y) = ln(c-2x) + K (K =(C-c)/2 is the integration constants)
    Y = c-2x + Cte (constant of integration)

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  11. May 13, 2015 #10
    why are you subtracting C-c.... and where does division by 2i come from? There arent any irrational numbers..... What the hell is C t and e.. i cant plot this with so many random constants

12. May 13, 2015 #11
    Oops, keyboard typing errors i means C-c/2 = K to treat both of them as one constant C and c are constant if ODE solving

13. May 13, 2015 #12
    Little c is a number though, 0,-2,2,-4,4,etc, im gonna assume you mean C-C/2=K, so i did the same thing to simplify by raising e^ln(), are you sure you can just take an average randomly to get K or it doesnt matter since it doesnt show up, it only shows up as K. So do I pick random K values? This needs to be perpendicular to x^2+y^2=cx

14. May 13, 2015 #13
    Plotting y=c-2x alone gives lines through each circle through origin so that works if i ignore K, thanks for your immense help and clarifying my stupid questions

15. May 13, 2015 #14
    K is an integration constant, in fact i didnt mean to write it as C-c/2 but I can so why not ? it show up as a single constant

16. May 13, 2015 #15
    Welcome, but don't forget to write as y= c-2x + K, in your case K = 0 happened to work, but allways write the most general solution and pick up the values you need, (you picked up K= 0 and that's great )

17. May 13, 2015 #16
    wait yeah but wouldnt when i simplifed using e^()=e^() +e^K wouldnt this k=0 add a 1 and mess up the solution......

18. May 13, 2015 #17
    e^K = Cte an other constant
    After you write that, ignore K, it's all about Cte

19. May 13, 2015 #18
    So i just resolved the problem a different way and at the end I got y=(x^2+y^2)c. These are more circles that are orthogonal

20. May 13, 2015 #19

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"More circles that are orthogonal" to what?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted