1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations reduction of order

1. Oct 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find y2 given
    t^2y'' + 3ty' + y = 0 y1(t) = 1/t

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i found y, y' and y'' and plugged it back in to the Differential equation,
    after doing some work, i'm basicly down to
    tv''+v' = 0
    where y2 = v/t

so u = v' and u' = v'' Plugging that in...
    tu' + u = 0
    how would i solve this for u?
    i think its separable equations but that would give me
    du/-u = dt/t
    which would be ln (u) = -ln(t) + c .... u = 1/t +c so v' = 1/t +c which means v = lnt
    pluging v into y2 would give me lnt/t
    Sorry its kind of confusing but the answer's not in the back of the book and i need to know if i did this right

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the problem reduces to tu'+ u= 0 which is separable: du/u= -dt/t. Integrating ln(u)= -ln(t)+ c and, taking the exponential of both sides u= C/t where C= ec. (Notice that the C is multiplied, not added: ea+c[/b]= eaec, not "ea+ c".)

The integral of u= v'= C/t is v(t)= Cln(t)+ D and then, since you made the reduction by assuming a solution of the form y= v(t)y1= v(t)(1/t), your general solution to the original differential equation is y(t)= Cln(t)/t+ D/t. How does that compare with the solution in the back of your book?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook