Differential Equations: Salt Concentration and logs

In summary, the equation for the amount of salt in a tank with 180 gallons of water and 8 grams of dissolved salt initially, with water containing 9 grams of salt per gallon entering at a rate of 3 gallons per minute and leaving at a rate of 1 gallon per minute, is Q' + Q/(180 + 2t) = 27. To find the integrating factor, you can rewrite e∫1/(180 + 2t) dt as (180 + 2t)1/2, utilizing the property that eln(A) = A. This will give you the integrating factor u as (180 + 2t)1/2.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

A tank initially contains 180 gallons of water in which 8grams of salt are dissolved.
Water containing 9 grams of salt per gallon enters the tank at the rate of 3 gallons
per minute, and
the well mixed solution leaves the tank at the rate of 1 gallon per minute. The equation for the
amount of salt in the tank for anytime t.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My confusion is with the integrating factor.

First off I know:

Q' = rate at which salt enters - rate at which salt leaves

Q' = (9 grams/gal)(3 gal/min) - Q/(180 + 2t)

Simplify to Differential equation format

Q' + Q/(180 + 2t) = 27

Find the integrating factor.

u = e∫1/(180 + 2t) dt = e1/2 ln(180 + 2t)

My question is how do you know to move the 1/2 into the power to give the integrating factor u as:

u = (180 + 2t)1/2

I know it's a logarithmic law that I can move the coefficient into the power, but how do I recognize that I need to do this here? What's wrong with leaving the half in front as:

u = 1/2(180 + 2t)

Guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Northbysouth said:

Homework Statement

A tank initially contains 180 gallons of water in which 8grams of salt are dissolved.
Water containing 9 grams of salt per gallon enters the tank at the rate of 3 gallons
per minute, and
the well mixed solution leaves the tank at the rate of 1 gallon per minute. The equation for the
amount of salt in the tank for anytime t.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My confusion is with the integrating factor.

First off I know:

Q' = rate at which salt enters - rate at which salt leaves

Q' = (9 grams/gal)(3 gal/min) - Q/(180 + 2t)

Simplify to Differential equation format

Q' + Q/(180 + 2t) = 27

Find the integrating factor.

u = e∫1/(180 + 2t) dt = e1/2 ln(180 + 2t)

My question is how do you know to move the 1/2 into the power to give the integrating factor u as:

u = (180 + 2t)1/2

I know it's a logarithmic law that I can move the coefficient into the power, but how do I recognize that I need to do this here? What's wrong with leaving the half in front as:

u = 1/2(180 + 2t)

Guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

In this equation: u = e∫1/(180 + 2t) dt = e1/2 ln(180 + 2t)

you can rewrite the exponent on e on the far right as ln(180 + 2t)1/2.

That gives you eln(180 + 2t)1/2, which is the same as (180 + 2t)1/2.

The reason for doing this is to get the exponential in this form -- eln(A) -- which is equal to A, as long as A > 0.

There is no rule of logarithms that let's you change e1/2 ln(180 + 2t) to (1/2)(180 + 2t).

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many natural phenomena, including changes in salt concentration over time.

2. How are differential equations used to study salt concentration?

Differential equations are used to study salt concentration by describing the rate of change of salt concentration over time. They can be used to predict how salt concentration will change in a given system, and to understand the underlying mechanisms that drive these changes.

3. What is the role of logs in differential equations?

Logs, or logarithms, are used in differential equations to transform the equation into a form that is easier to solve. They can also be used to convert exponential functions into linear functions, making them a useful tool in solving differential equations.

4. How do differential equations help in understanding salt concentration in solutions?

Differential equations help in understanding salt concentration in solutions by providing a mathematical framework for analyzing and predicting changes in concentration over time. They can also help to identify factors that may affect the rate of change, such as temperature, pressure, and chemical reactions.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations in studying salt concentration?

Differential equations have various real-world applications in studying salt concentration, including in environmental science (e.g. studying saltwater intrusion in coastal areas), chemistry (e.g. studying salt concentration in chemical reactions), and biology (e.g. studying osmoregulation in cells and organisms). They are also used in engineering and industry for designing processes and systems that involve salt concentration changes.