Find the quantity of salt in the tank?

• Thread starter Math10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Salt Tank
In summary: Q*V*tNow, show us your balance on the concentration of salt in the tank.Chet=Q/(1+qout*Cin)So, the total amount of salt in the tank at any given time is equal to the sum of the rates of input (qin) and output (qout):Chet=Q*V*t+qout*Cin
Math10

Homework Statement

A 200 gallon tank initially contains 100 gallons of water with 20 pounds of salt. A salt solution with 1/4 pound of salt per gallon is added to the tank at 4 gal/min, and the resulting mixture is drained out at 2 gal/min. Find the quantity of salt in the tank as it's about to overflow.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

(1/4)lbs/gal*(4)gal/min=1lbs/min
(Q)lbs/100 gal*(2)gal/min=Qlbs/50 min
dQ/dt=1-Q/50=(50-Q)/50
50/(50-Q)dQ=dt
-50ln abs(50-Q)=t+C
ln abs(50-Q)= -t/50+C
50-Q=Ce^(-t/50)
Q=50-Ce^(-t/50)
Q(0)=0
C=50
Q(t)=50(1-e^(-t/50))
Q(50)=31.606
But the answer is Q(50)=47.5
Where did I make a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math10 said:

Homework Statement

A 200 gallon tank initially contains 100 gallons of water with 20 pounds of salt. A salt solution with 1/4 pound of salt per gallon is added to the tank at 4 gal/min, and the resulting mixture is drained out at 2 gal/min. Find the quantity of salt in the tank as it's about to overflow.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

(1/4)lbs/gal*(4)gal/min=1lbs/min
dQ/dt=1-Q/50=(50-Q)/50
50/(50-Q)dQ=dt
-50ln abs(50-Q)=t+C
ln abs(50-Q)= -t/50+C
50-Q=Ce^(-t/50)
Q=50-Ce^(-t/50)
Q(0)=0
C=50
Q(t)=50(1-e^(-t/50))
Q(50)=31.606
But the answer is Q(50)=47.5
Where did I make a mistake?

I didn't check all your work, but I notice you used Q(0)=0. But the problem says the tank started with 20lbs of salt.

So I used Q(0)=20,
C=30
Q=50-30e^(-t/50)
Now what?

Math10 said:
This line I don't understand. Why are you dividing by 100 gal?

So what do I do? Can you guys correct me?

DrClaude said:
This line I don't understand. Why are you dividing by 100 gal?
It's attempting to calculate the instantaneous rate at which salt is leaving the tank (in lb/min).
Math10, you've overlooked that fact that the volume is increasing too. It's only 100 gal at the start.
We shouldn't have to guess what you are doing. Explain as you go along.

You need to do 2 material balances: (1) The volume of water in the tank and (2) the amount of salt in the tank.

Let V (gal) represent the volume of water in the tank at time t, and let C (lb/gal) represent the concentration of salt in the tank at time t. You need to solve for both of these. The balances should be of the form

(rate of input) - (rate of output) = (rate of accumulation).

Let qin represent the rate of water addition to the tank, and let qout represent the rate of water output from the tank. Let Cin represent the concentration of salt in the inlet stream. Assume that the tank is always well-mixed, so that the concentration of salt in the tank is always uniform.

To start with, show us your balance on the volume of water in the tank.

Chet

1. How do you determine the quantity of salt in the tank?

To determine the quantity of salt in the tank, we can use a process called titration. This involves adding a known concentration of a solution to the tank, and then measuring the volume of the solution needed to completely react with all of the salt in the tank. From this, we can calculate the quantity of salt present in the tank.

2. What equipment is needed for finding the quantity of salt in the tank?

The equipment needed for finding the quantity of salt in the tank includes a burette, a known concentration solution of an acid or base, an indicator, and a measuring cylinder. Additionally, a balance may be needed to measure the mass of the tank and its contents.

3. Can the quantity of salt in the tank be determined by just measuring its volume?

No, the quantity of salt in the tank cannot be determined solely by measuring its volume. This is because the density of salt may vary, and the concentration of salt in the tank may not be uniform. Titration is a more accurate method for determining the quantity of salt present.

4. How does the temperature of the tank affect the accuracy of measuring the quantity of salt?

The temperature of the tank can affect the accuracy of measuring the quantity of salt. This is because the solubility of salt in water increases with temperature, so the same volume of solution may contain more salt at higher temperatures. It is important to control and record the temperature during the titration process in order to obtain accurate results.

5. What are some potential sources of error when determining the quantity of salt in the tank?

Some potential sources of error when determining the quantity of salt in the tank include not properly calibrating equipment, incomplete reaction between the solution and salt, and not accounting for the temperature of the tank. It is important to carefully follow the titration procedure and to make multiple measurements to reduce the impact of these errors.