Differential Equations System Solutions

In summary: I am still not really sure why the coefficients for the... equation...Well, the coefficients are c_1=3/4 and c_2=5/4. Maybe if you could find the general solution for the inhomogeneous part, you could find the particular solution for the homogeneous part. Well, the coefficients are c_1=3/4 and c_2=5/4. Maybe if you could find the general solution for the inhomogeneous part, you could find the particular solution for the homogeneous part.
dmoney123

Homework Statement

Consider the initial value problem for the system of first-order differential equations

y_1' = -2y_2+1, y_1(0)=2

y_2' = -8y_1+2, y_2(0)=-1

If the matrix

[ 0 -2
-8 0 ]

has eigenvalues and eigenvectors L_1= -4 V_1= [ 1
2 ]

L_2=4 V_2= [ 1
-2]

then its solution will be:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
e^(-4t) +e^ (4t) from eigenvalues

multiply by respective eigenvectors and set to initial conditions gives 2 sets of equations and two unknown coefficients

2=c_1*e^(-4t)+c_2*e^(4t)
-1=c_1*2e^(-4t)+c_2*-2e^(4t)

c_1=3/4

c_2=5/4

I am very confident with these values being right for the coefficients, I know need to know how to use these to form a general solution.

I plug these values back into get

y_1=3/4e^(-4t)+5/4e^(4t)
y_2=3/2e^(-4t)-5/2e^(4t)
Then solution given is

y_1(t)=5/4e^(4t)+1/2e^(-4t)+1/4,
y_2(t)=-5/2e^(4t)+e^(-4t)+1/2

any help is appreciated! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
dmoney123 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the initial value problem for the system of first-order differential equations

y_1' = -2y_2+1, y_1(0)=2

If the matrix

[ 0 -2
-8 0 ]

2 ]

L_2=4 V_2= [ 1
-2]

Homework Equations

[/B]
This is the solution of the homogeneous part only. The system is inhomogeneous, you have to add the particular solution of the equations to the general solution of the homogeneous part.

ehild said:
This is the solution of the homogeneous part only. The system is inhomogeneous, you have to add the particular solution of the equations to the general solution of the homogeneous part.

I have not encountered this type of problem before. How do you go about finding the particular solution?

dmoney123 said:
I have not encountered this type of problem before. How do you go about finding the particular solution?
It is simple in this case. Set both y1'=0 and y2' =0. What are y1 and y2 then?

ehild said:
It is simple in this case. Set both y1'=0 and y2' =0. What are y1 and y2 then?

Okay, I work this out to y_1=1/4 and y_2=1/2...

which seems to fit in the equation... but I am still not really sure why the coefficients for the e^(-4t) don't seem to match the solution

dmoney123 said:
Okay, I work this out to y_1=1/4 and y_2=1/2...

which seems to fit in the equation... but I am still not really sure why the coefficients for the e^(-4t) don't seem to match the solution
The general solution is
y1=c1e-4t+c2e4t+1/4
y2=c1e-4t+c2e4t+1/2

Fit these equations to the initial conditions y1(0)=2, y2(0)=-1.

Likes dmoney123
ehild said:
The general solution is
y1=c1e-4t+c2e4t+1/4
y2=c1e-4t+c2e4t+1/2

Fit these equations to the initial conditions y1(0)=2, y2(0)=-1.

Thank you so much! That makes total sense!

You are welcome. :)

iHere is how I would have done this, without using "matrices": differentiate the first equation again to get [itex]y_1''= -2y_2'[/itex]. But from the second equation, [itex]y_2'= -8y_1+ 2[/itex] so that [itex]y_1''= -2(-8y_1+ 2)= 16y_1- 4[/itex] or [itex]y_1''- 16y_1= -4[/itex]. The associated homogeneous equation, [itex]y_1''- 16y= 0[/itex] has characteristic equation [itex]r^2- 16= 0[/itex] which has roots [itex]r= 4[/itex] and [itex]r= -4[/itex] so the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation is [itex]y(t)= C_1e^{4t}+ C_2e^{-4t}[/itex].

Now new look for a particular solution to the entire equation. Since the right hand, "non-homogeneous", part is the constant -4, we try a solution of the form y= A for A some constant. Then y'= y''= 0 so the equation becomes [itex]0- 16A= -4[/itex] and [itex]A= 1/4[/itex].

That is, [itex]y_1(t)= C_1e^{4t}+ C_2e^{-4t}+ \frac{1}{4}[/itex]. Now, we can write the first equation, [itex]y_1'= -2y_2+ 1[/itex] is the same as [itex]2y_2= -y_1'+ 1[/itex] or [itex]y_1= -(1/2)y_2'+ 1/2[/itex]. Since [itex]y_1(t)= C_1e^4t+ C_2e^{-4t}+ \frac{1}{4}[/itex], [itex]y_1'= 4C_1e^{4t}- 4C_2e^{-4t}[/itex], [itex]-(1/2)y_2'= -2C_1e^{4t}+ 2e^{-4t}[/itex] and [itex]y_1(t)= -2C_1e^{4t}+ 2C_2e^{-4t}+ 1/2[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
dmoney123 said:

Homework Statement

y_1' = -2y_2+1, y_1(0)=2

If the matrix

[ 0 -2
-8 0 ]

2 ]

L_2=4 V_2= [ 1
-2]

Homework Equations

[/B]

multiply by respective eigenvectors and set to initial conditions gives 2 sets of equations and two unknown coefficients

2=c_1*e^(-4t)+c_2*e^(4t)
-1=c_1*2e^(-4t)+c_2*-2e^(4t)

c_1=3/4

c_2=5/4

I am very confident with these values being right for the coefficients, I know need to know how to use these to form a general solution.

I plug these values back into get

y_1=3/4e^(-4t)+5/4e^(4t)
y_2=3/2e^(-4t)-5/2e^(4t)
Then solution given is

y_1(t)=5/4e^(4t)+1/2e^(-4t)+1/4,
y_2(t)=-5/2e^(4t)+e^(-4t)+1/2

any help is appreciated! thanks!

Re-write your system as
[tex] y_1' = -2y_2 + 1 = -2\left(y_2 - \frac{1}{2} \right) \\
y_2' = -8y_1+2 = -8\left(y_1 - \frac{1}{4} \right) [/tex]
Since ##d(y_1 - 1/4)/dt = dy_1/dt## and ##d(y_2 - 1/2)/dt = dy_2/dt##, the variables ##Y_1 = y_1 - 1/4## and ##Y_2 = y_2 - 1/2)## satisfy the homogeneous system
[tex] Y_1' = -2Y_2\\
Y_2' = -8 Y_1
[/tex]
You can easily figure out the boundary values ##Y_1(0), \, Y_2(0)##.

This type of trick always works whenever the non-homogeneous terms on the right are constants.

1. What are differential equations system solutions?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time. A system of differential equations is a set of equations that describe the relationships between multiple changing quantities. The solutions to these equations represent the values of the changing quantities over time.

2. Why are differential equations system solutions important?

Differential equations are used to model and understand many real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. By finding solutions to these equations, we can predict how systems will behave and make informed decisions.

3. How are differential equations system solutions solved?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and power series. In some cases, exact solutions can be found analytically, while in others, numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods are used.

4. What are the types of solutions to a system of differential equations?

The types of solutions to a system of differential equations depend on the nature of the equations. They can be classified as steady-state solutions, where the changing quantities reach a constant value, or transient solutions, where the quantities change over time. The solutions can also be periodic, meaning they repeat after a certain interval of time.

5. How are differential equations system solutions verified?

Once a solution is found, it can be verified by plugging it back into the original differential equations and checking if they hold true. Additionally, solutions can be verified by using initial conditions or boundary conditions to ensure that the solution accurately represents the behavior of the system.