Differential Equations: Wronskian question.

Homework Statement

Hey Everyone,

Here is a problem from my book that has my confused. I really don't understand what it wants me to do so if anyone could give me a few hints it would be greatly appreciated.

I am doing problem 34, but I included 33 since it wanted to follow the same method.

000004.jpg

Sorry if I seem like I am asking you to do my homework. I'm not, just looking for a place to start.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

the attachment is invalid...

Really? I am able to open it just fine. Can anyone else open this?

EDIT: I take that back. It works for me in Chrome but not Firefox. I will upload it somewhere else and fix my post.

Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Let's start by looking at 33. Do you know how to use the Wronskian to show that functions are linearly independent in general?

Hey office_Shredder,

I am reasonably familiar with using the Wronskian to show that functions are linearly independent. I am more used to this form:

8d606b824d0946483b111ce8935ba568.png

Where if W = 0 is true on an open interval I then the functions are linearly independent.

I don't completely understand the wronskian equation given in problem 33.

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hey office_Shredder,

I am reasonably familiar with using the Wronskian to show that functions are linearly independent. I am more used to this form:

8d606b824d0946483b111ce8935ba568.png

Where if W = 0 is true on an open interval I then the functions are linearly independent.

I don't completely understand the wronskian equation given in problem 33.

If you define [itex]f_i(x)=\text{exp}(r_i x)[/itex], [itex]1\leq i \leq n[/itex], what is [itex]f'_i(x)[/itex]? How about [itex]f''_i(x)[/itex]? What does that make the Wronskian for the [itex]n=3[/itex] case? Is there a rule for taking determinants where a column is multiplied by some factor that might help you here?

I understand where the matrix comes from now but I am not sure what method you are talking about for solving the determinant. Care to shed some light?

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Use property 3 here. For example,

[tex]\begin{vmatrix} a & 2b & 3c \\ 4a & 5b & 6c \\ 7a & 8b &9c \end{vmatrix}=a\begin{vmatrix} 1 & 2b & 3c \\ 4 & 5b & 6c \\ 7 & 8b &9c \end{vmatrix}=ab\begin{vmatrix} 1 & 2 & 3c \\ 4 & 5 & 6c \\ 7 & 8 &9c \end{vmatrix}=abc\begin{vmatrix} 1 & 2 & 3 \\ 4 & 5 & 6 \\ 7 & 8 &9 \end{vmatrix}[/tex]